• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorite Dry Rubs

Northwoods Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am placing an order for some BBQ gear and am going to purchase some dry rubs. What in you opinion are the best rubs for:

A) Pork
B) Beef

I'm sure the usual suspects will show up here, but I'd like to see what the majority has to say and the minority. Also include a sauce recommendation with your rub recommendation if applicable.

Thanks.

That's like asking a guy with 10 kids, "which one is your favorite?"
Ok...if you must know...Yardbird & Bovine Bold are excellent...but I've got a brisket on right now that I'm trying out some of Todd's Dirt...
I'll let you know how it turns out...I may have another new favorite

First pic is what I use regularly. Second pic is what I use most often; From left to right Beef, Pork, Chicken and Some Todd's Dirt with each one. TD is my go to all around seasoning, like it on just about everything except ice cream...

Attachments

• rubs 001.jpg
    rubs 001.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 613
  • rubs 003.jpg
    rubs 003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 679
Favorite dry rubs? My own homemade of course. Got one for beef, one for birds and one for hog. Experiment a little...... you'll hit on something you really like.

Favorite dry rubs? My own homemade of course. Got one for beef, one for birds and one for hog. Experiment a little...... you'll hit on something you really like.
This is what I do. But there are plenty of good commercial rubs as well.

In general I go with a little heat for chicken
a little sweet for pork
and I use a Montreal steak seasoning for beef

I make most of my rubs. The only rub I buy is The Slabs Wow Up Your Cow. I just haven't had anything I like better on brisket.

Here's what's in my cupboard...
Salt Lick rub if I want heat - good for chicken, pork, and beef
Yardbird - only thing I use on chicken now.
Bovine Bold - Nice kick, not over powering
I make some rubs, all variations of rubs found in the book Smoke and Spice.

I think one of the best things about cookin Q is the opportunity to make my own rub.

LMAJ - I have never heard of the book Smoke and Spice....thanks for the lead.

I mostly use my own rub on ribs and pork butt. But I do switch it up and use others. Some of my favorite commercial rubs are Yardbird, John Henry pecan and anything from Dizzy Pig. I need to order some Bovine Bold and give it a try.

attachment.php

What is the name of the second rub from the left?

I've had some success with homemade rubs, but nothing 'incredible' so far. The rubs are where I need to up my game right now. Once I get a hold of a few really good commercial rubs, I will have a better feel for tweaking my own as well.

Back