BBQ spreadsheet/checklist

fijuur

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey folks !

Happy new year !

I was wondering if any of you guys have something like a bbq spreadsheet/checklist to keep track of your cooking results and to see which parameter you changed from your last cook and how it affect your result?

I was thinking of parameters like;

What was the weather like?
What time did i start?
What kind of meat?
How big was the meat ?
What kind of rub did i used?
What kind of sauce ? Or no sauce?
What was the pit temperatur?
After 2 hours , after 3 hours etc
The same with the internal temperatur ?
What kind of fuel did i used?
How long was the cooking time in overall?
And then the results,
Like how was the apperance ?
How was the bark ?
The tenderness?
The taste !
The smokeflavor ?

Im sure you guys now what I mean but I cant find such a spreadsheet and unfortunately i cant create one :doh:

So what do you guys think ? Do you use such spreadsheet to keep track of your results and to see what happend when you changed a certain parameter ?

Would love to hear your answers and advices for a good Q spreadsheet.

Thank you

There's plenty of bbq logs floating around. You'll use one for awhile then lose interest in it.

That was quick!

I probably just was looking for the words BBQ log.

Thank you .

I tried the search engine with the words spreadsheet and the results where not what i expected.

I think a bbq log is good for a beginner or intermediate to see what you can change to improve your results , once you are on your track and you are happy with it you can get rid of it.

Again thank you for the word Bbq log ;)

I log all of my cooks and have come up with a template that more or less covers the stuff you listed. I just have "results" and note what ever I want. I also log time/temperature more often than 1/hour.

the only thing I have that you don't list is what I would do differently next time.

I haven't gotten tired of logging smokes (maybe I'm still a beginner :wink: ) and I find the information useful the next time I plan a smoke.

Here's one I created when I started cooking with WSMs. 3 tab excel doc that allows you to log entire cooks. I printed one off each time I cooked, filled it in by hand as the cook progressed and saved them in a 3 ring binder.

Attachments

• BBQ Log.xls
    28 KB · Views: 129
BBQ logs are great if you're the type to refer back to them prior to next cook, review them between cooks etc.

It's the debate of how much is art vs. science.

For me, it's about adapting as you go to a particular cook under those conditions, equipment, food on that given day. Over time you develop your own unwritten process that cannot be copied by anyone else but yourself. That's the best part of it all...the instinctiveness rather than getting sucked into a replication of all components like times, temps, measurements etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose....

Here's one I created when I started cooking with WSMs. 3 tab excel doc that allows you to log entire cooks. I printed one off each time I cooked, filled it in by hand as the cook progressed and saved them in a 3 ring binder.
Nice log! :thumb: Covers more than I could think of.

I kept a log on my first 5 cooks this year. 2 were of the same cut (brisket) with only a pound in difference. I had more wind and cooler air temps the secong run but managed to keep the temp somewhat consistant. What I did find was the heavier one cooked to the same temp in almost the same time. I monitored it closely (30 min. intervals) and I did note the times I added coal/wood. I wrote down temp of the smoker and the meat from start to finish.
After a few trials I basically stopped writing down the data. The Char-griller pro is a nice smoker but it doesn't hold the temp for very long so It takes a lot of visits to keep it constant.
MacNH

Computer log are good to have so you have a place for successful cooks. I would recommend you have blank sheets that you loosely fill in and if the cook is worth saving add the details and input in the computer at a later date with photos. If it isn't worthy throw the paper away and save the time of entering something you don't want to repeat.

Back