Thread: M1 pork chops
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman327 View Post
What are the benefits of reducing the amount of charcoal to start your fire?
None for me really except I have more wood than charcoal at the moment

I figured as long as I could get up to temp and ok to feed it every hour that would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I really want to reduce the amount of grill/smokers I have and since I prefer to cook with charcoal, I was wanting to know if the M1 would full fill the task as both a grill and smoker using charcoal or lump and how long of a burn you could get on a full basket. I know Travis from M grills says you can use just charcoal or lump but that it's not that efficient. My Good One smokers work great but are not fuel efficient at all.

I love the adjustable grate system for grilling and have an older Hasty Bake that has that feature but like I said, I need to reduce the inventory a lot.

I really would like to get down to just one grill/smoker but that is probably not going to happen because I can't decide what to keep and what to get rid of.
I hear you 100%. The OR does go through charcoal so I only use it for short cooks - it’s really great for reverse searing.

This is the first time I’ve tried reverse searing on the M1 and I’m really pleased with the result, especially with the sear box but that might be confirmation bias

I have the HB as well and love it - no plan to get rid of it but honestly it’s redundant with the M1. BTW I’ve I’ve heard Travis say some are reporting 5-6hrs on a full basket of charcoal and a stick but I have never loaded it up like that because I am cheap so I can’t verify
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote