• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
How do beef ribs turn out on the PBC? The gf has requested that I do some soon.

In my experience I've found beef is one of my favorite things to cook on the PBC. I've done tri-tip, beef ribs, and brisket and all turned out awesome! I've only done beef ribs once. I needed to cook them a tad longer than I did and I forgot to pull off the membrane. Unlike pork ribs, it's pretty important to take off the membrane from beef ribs. The flavor was outstanding and I've been wanting to do them again.

Attachments

• 20150607_170417.jpg
    20150607_170417.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 20150607_174159.jpg
    20150607_174159.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 527
Andrew you're making me hungry for some beef ribs. Only done then once and they were not very meaty, but the flavor was great. Need to find a good supply here in St. Louis. Doing pork ribs and chicken today.

Andrew you're making me hungry for some beef ribs. Only done then once and they were not very meaty, but the flavor was great. Need to find a good supply here in St. Louis. Doing pork ribs and chicken today.

Yeah mine weren't very meaty either. I've been looking for some thicker ones to try for next time. They still tasted great like you said!

One thing I wanted to add, I double hooked mine. I think they could fall if I didn't.

Had some family visiting last weekend from No. Cal. Did a Pork Butt on Sat. and a 14 lb brisket on Sun., burnt ends and all. It was delicious.

Only bad part about it was I didn't take any pics.:mad2:

I definitely gonna pick up an ash pan very soon. After cleaning the ashes out today, I can guarantee ash pan will make clean up way easier.

I got chicken goin in it right now and am pumped about seeing if PBC chicken is as good as they say it is!!

I definitely gonna pick up an ash pan very soon. After cleaning the ashes out today, I can guarantee ash pan will make clean up way easier.

I got chicken goin in it right now and am pumped about seeing if PBC chicken is as good as they say it is!!

Hey Deebo I forgot to tell you one thing about chicken. Crack the lid on the PBC about an inch the last 15-20 minutes of the cook to raise the temp. It'll get your skin crispy and yummy! :thumb:

Hey Deebo I forgot to tell you one thing about chicken. Crack the lid on the PBC about an inch the last 15-20 minutes of the cook to raise the temp. It'll get your skin crispy and yummy! :thumb:

I think I read that back on page 60something. Thanks for the reminder. I'll do that for sure!

Be sure to post some pics and let us know how it went. Will be pulling ribs and chicken off soon myself.

Be sure to post some pics and let us know how it went. Will be pulling ribs and chicken off soon myself.

Sooooo.......I'm gonna have to start this post off with an apology. While walking in the house with the chicken, I broke a lil piece of chicken off to taste and suddenly, my camera seemed SO far away. I never made it to the picture taking of the PBC chicken. Holy SHYT was that chicken good! And thanks for reminding me about cracking the lid open to make the skin crispy, Andrew! That was the best skin ever. Damn near like bacon. I used the PBC all-purpose seasoning and it is PERFECT on chicken.

I ended up filling the coal basket up halfway and used a few chunks of hickory. I lit most of the coals in the chimney starter and waited till they were on fire. When I poured them in, they were going real good. I gave them a few minutes to settle down with the lid on and then put the chicken in. Worked like a charm. I really love this thing!!

Lol....Yeah my camera has been forgotten a couple times too..:becky: Glad it all worked out and tasted good. The PBC sure makes it easy!

Really happy with my PBC. Been cooking on it all summer. Good job on ribs, brisket, and shoulder. Ok on chicken. Hope to try meatloaf on it this weekend. Also fantastiic beef short ribs. Cooking on it takes me a bit longer than what they say it should. Closer to what my water smoker does. My fires are a little cooler than they say it usually runs even though the bottom opening is at the recommended spot.

Really happy with my PBC. Been cooking on it all summer. Good job on ribs, brisket, and shoulder. Ok on chicken. Hope to try meatloaf on it this weekend. Also fantastiic beef short ribs. Cooking on it takes me a bit longer than what they say it should. Closer to what my water smoker does. My fires are a little cooler than they say it usually runs even though the bottom opening is at the recommended spot.

How are you lighting your coals? What's your process for starting your PBC?

I agree that the starting process is important. This last cook, I waited about 20 minutes, until the coals in the chimney looked like a volcano spewing fire and my temps stayed up around 280. I'm eager to see how a full basket of coals lasts when I do a brisket.

I agree that the starting process is important. This last cook, I waited about 20 minutes, until the coals in the chimney looked like a volcano spewing fire and my temps stayed up around 280. I'm eager to see how a full basket of coals lasts when I do a brisket.

Yep, you did pretty much the same startup I do. And ironically I stay right at 265-285°..:becky: My target for just about everything is 275° so I like where my PBC cooks!

My first (and only) brisket took about 7-8 hrs to cook. I had about 2 hours of coals left. You'll have plenty to do a brisket with a full basket.

Last edited:
Back