• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Minion method vs. Other

Weston81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guys finds works better for holding constant temps for smoking minion method or a big stack in the center? I've only used the minion method and have to adjust the vents every 3-4 hours on a windy day. I have always been afraid that if I lump it all into the center using the ring provided with my WSM it would burn to hot. Thoughts?

That makes sense, I am guessing it also allows the waterpan to truley even out the heat instead of having charcoal burning outside of the pan and the heat directly rising.

Thanks for the pointer there, that def helps me with my answer to burning the edges of things I put on my smoker. I haven't been using my ring.:doh::icon_blush:

What do you think the minion method is if you're not putting your coals inside the ring? Coals in ring with fire on top or in the center...that IS the minion method. You could also ring the coals around the outside and ignite one end to let it burn slowly around the perimeter. That would be the minion method also...sort of.

In essence, the minion method has been used for decades in some areas......we just called it banking your coals. Now it has a popular name.

I always built a circle around the edge of the bottom never using the provided ring. I would get some coals going in my chimney and then dump them on one end of the ring so it would burn slowly around it through out the day.

Sounds like I have been doing it all wrong as far as the true meaning of the minion method is concerned, thanks for the info. I think that with the ring around the outside I am causing myself considerable time adjusting vents as the coals burn around.

I take a large 2 qt can that has both top and bottom cut out(think of it as more of a sleeve) put it in the center of the ring, then put the charcoal all around the can to fill the ring. Then I put hot coals in the can, pull the can out, and then I'm good to go. Creates a nice even center of hot coals that slowly spread out over time.

Side Bar:
When using the Minion Method, you mention 2 ways. Is one a cleaner burn than the other. By sounds coals in the bottom with the fired coals over would be cleaner, don't know yet as I use full lit lump and wood, so far on an offset, but working toward two UDS's.
Thanks,

Often times I'll load up a full chimney, light it, and when just the few coals at the bottom gets going I'll dump that whole chimney into the kettle or chimney basket. Those few lit coals will end up on top of the pile of the unlit coals.

Back