Making stock, do not forget about this!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm sure everybody is going to have leftover turkey and for sure the carcass/bones. I HIGHLY recommend making poultry stock/broth from those. Add in some uncooked turkey/chicken meat and bones. Add onions, celery, carrots, spices etc and let simmer for hours. This is BY FAR the best stock you will ever have.

We always keep bones/carcass of our smoked/roasted poultry so the misses can make a great stock. She just made some this past weekend. Stock for stews and soups, the meat for stews, tortillas etc.

Don't let that leftover turkey go to waste!!

a3c45e432ae8e62e786d8fc2b33a07e2.jpg

c59b7d1c2a949a92c9d422c56207aa3b.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have never done this - definitely going to do it this year. Love the idea about freezing in ice cube trays

The freezing cubes idea is fantastic. I have a pair of silicone ice cube trays, that makes fairly large blocks, that I use for things like this. It's great to be able to grab a few cubes of condensed flavor.

That smoked turkey stock is my favorite for gumbo.

Ding ding ding ding! This is now a Thanksgiving tradition for my family. We look forward to Saturday-after-Thanksgiving gumbo almost as much as Thanksgiving.

We've always made stock from our Greenburg turkey carcass.... Greenburg has a great recipe on their website. Too bad the plant had an explosion and fire this year - chalk up more weirdness for 2020.

Use to make stock often. Frozen spatchcock backbones, rotisserie carcasses, along with a couple fresh chickens. Always throw in at least a pound of chicken feet.

Once up to a boil and skimming off the crud, turn the burner to extra low and let it go for 24 hours, then cool.

Made a batch couple years ago that turned out I couldn't tend to for 4-5 days. After 24 hours on the heat, turned it off for 12 hours to let cool. Turned the burner back on for 12 hours, then off for 12. Repeated that a few times with the stock pot never leaving the stove. Added some water a couple times. Best batch I ever made. Deep rich color, very gelatinous, and excellent flavor.

Back