Need a new grill/smoker

GhostRed7

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all...long time lurker, first time poster.

My MES40 started cutting itself off during cook cycles.
My Charbroil 800 grill is on its last leg.

Limited budget (pref < $300 with minor wiggle-room)
Basically need grill and possibly smoker. I have a chance at a FREE Brinkmann vertical charcoal 2 door/rectangular smoker...so that > nothing I guess. I've never used one, but know there needs to be wok/drill mods to charcoal pan.

Anyhoo...given all that info..toss some suggestions at me. My Mom is visiting for about a week and I've been ordered to make pastrami and Q lol

We've decided that the kettle route is going to be too restrictive as we often have the need for 2-3 birds (or more) at once. Looking at maybe brinkmanship trailmaster offset (heavy gauge) or ok joes horizon. Thanks in advance and all friendly input welcomed.

I am not a drum guy myself but you could buy the kit from bigpoppasmokers.com to build an ugly drum smoker on the cheap and still have money left for meat. Maybe a used weber smokey mountain. New the 22.5" is to much but an 18.5" is within your budget new. Try one of them.

I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster and I really like it. I did a couple mods,Tuning plates and sealed the smoking chamber door. Yesterday I did a long pork loin and it held 265* end to end,within 5-8*'s.

WSM - Weber Smokey Mountain - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=weber+smokey+mountain&sprefix=weber+sm%2Caps%2C1107"]Amazon.com: weber smokey mountain@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-Nd4eZplL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-Nd4eZplL[/ame]

PBC - Pit Barrel Cooker - http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

Weber kettle one touch gold. Either 22.5 or the 26. Great grill and plus it can smoke just as good as any other smoker that I have used.

Woops missed the kettle part in your post.

For $300, I think that is going to be a little tough to get both a grill and a smoker. A kettle will do both easily, but you say that's too small. I can grill on my modded WSM, but it's not optimal. Best bet would be to hit Craigslist and find a WSM and a kettle.

A 26 inch kettle could do 3 or 4 chickens. smoke, grill, ect.

A akorn could probably handle 3 birds, 4 using swing grate.

Both options are versatile and right at your $300 price point.

You could also build a drum and buy a kettle within your budget.

I have a Trail Master LE it cooks like a dream but as stated it needs a baffle and/or tuning plates to the tame the hot spot I did not seal my door as it don't leak once it is up to temp.
DSCF0199.jpg

Thx all...keep it comin!

I think we're leaning towards TMLE at this time. I'm going to ride out and look at the horizon.

For $300, you can get 2 weber kettles..... Just saying. Then you can be grilling and smoking, grilling and grilling, or smoking and smoking.

Big Poppa drum kit makes a grill /smoker combo and it's beautiful. Kit $ 139

Searing some chicken here but it can just grill (use less fuel) also indirect cook like the vortex on the outside area. Regular drum smoker with the basket resting on lower hooks.

The $80 WSM from the CL link looks pretty good. I'd pick it up then go straight to the hardware store to get a new grate and a small can of grill paint. That puts you in great shape to get a kettle or two depending on space restrictions.

Weber 26.75 kettle is all you need for grilling and smoking. Weber's are a proven kettle grill, taken care the kettle will last a lifetime.

I built a UDS a few years ago and love it. Easy to control temps and a 12 hour burn is no problem.

I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster and I really like it. I did a couple mods,Tuning plates and sealed the smoking chamber door. Yesterday I did a long pork loin and it held 265* end to end,within 5-8*'s.

How does it fare at lower temps? Have you ever used it for hot & direct? If so...any issues?

With your budget make a UDS, if not that WSM. You can grill on WSM, but a pain. Also look at a Big Green Egg knock off, Vision Grills is one.

Back