• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

Green Mountain uses Digital instead of PID -but haven’t seen much issues on their controllers lately. Seen some issues 2015-16 of controllers being replaced under warranty pretty regular....

GMG uses PID for their temp control. Not sure what you mean by "digital".

GMG uses PID for their temp control. Not sure what you mean by "digital".

from what I've read there is Analog, Digital and PID.

The type of controller, like any other pellet grill feature, influences the purchasing decision, but often for the wrong reasons. A PID controller for a pellet grill, for example, is a fairly sophisticated industrial mechanism that uses a continuous feedback loop to make very precise adjustments of the fan and auger. That may be all well and good, but the end goal is not just temperature control but temperature control that produces the best quality and quantity of smoke. If the goal was simply precise temperature control, then why not just cook your ribs and brisket in the oven.

In fact, a digital controller, one that allows a +/- 10*F temperature swing (as opposed to the +/- .5*F swing of the PID) may actually produce MORE good smoke because of more pellet smoldering in the temperature cycle. We believe that’s one reason why Grilla and Silverbac produce a smoke flavor equal to or superior than any PID grill on the market.

We’re not stating that the PID controller is not a good controller. We’re simply pointing out that there is no documented evidence that correlates better smoke production or flavor to the more costly PID controller.

Grilla Grills doesn’t believe in frills that offer pretend luxury. We don’t want excess. We want results. So, rely on Grilla Grills to deliver maximum smoke when you set the digital temperature control. Flowing from under the rack, the robust smoke produces the deep, rich, unbeatable flavor.

https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/

Everything on Green mountains Website says Digital Controller - NO mention of PID........?

Last edited:
AgaIHCvl.jpg

That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.

That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.

thats probally why I typed "FROM: https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/ " :twitch:

and this was in answer to sleebus.jones saying he doesn't know what I mean by Digital........

I was referring to this.

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Green Mountain uses Digital instead of PID -but haven’t seen much issues on their controllers lately. Seen some issues 2015-16 of controllers being replaced under warranty pretty regular....

Then you posted the comment about Grilla.

I was referring to this.

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post

exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. the threads on pellet People forums about replacing their Green mountain controllers under warranty all call them Digital controllers.........All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......

exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......

OK, I got confused when you jumped from GMG to Grilla. Still stick by my nonsense comment though.

OK, I got confused when you jumped from GMG to Grilla. Still stick by my nonsense comment though.

the Grilla qoute was what I could find explaining difference in Digital and PID controllers. Green Mountains is All about their WiFi.............
I read a thread on a Pellet forum explaining the difference in Detail but that was Last Week and I didn't Bookmark it (wish I had) and can't find it now.........:tsk:

Last edited:
From GMG operating manual

Controller: Your controller is a state-of-the-art PID
(calculus-based) computer which will keep your grill
at a reasonably steady temperatures

From GMG operating manual

Controller: Your controller is a state-of-the-art PID
(calculus-based) computer which will keep your grill
at a reasonably steady temperatures

Good to Know- I could Not find a description on their Website except for "Digital"

exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. the threads on pellet People forums about replacing their Green mountain controllers under warranty all call them Digital controllers.........All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......

Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.:mrgreen:

Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.:mrgreen:

No cuz they are above price range I have been looking at........
Like I siad in this thread - I think I want PID from all the controller swaps on the cheaper Units I seen guys doing......they all go to PID - Savanah or Smoke Daddy - maybe cuz thats all there is aftermarket.?

No cuz they are above price range I have been looking at........
Like I siad in this thread - I think I want PID from all the controller swaps on the cheaper Units I seen guys doing......they all go to PID - Savanah or Smoke Daddy - maybe cuz thats all there is aftermarket.?

Yeah, pretty much right, but they have this theory that solid temps produce better food. Unless you are supplementing the smoke, PID's will produce less smoke from pellets. You need the swings to die down the fire so the new pellets will smolder some before igniting.

New England makes a knockoff PG500, without the cold smoking tray.:thumb:

No because they are Higher $ than the Range I have been looking at......

Thanks to you Farkers I’ve been eyeballing Poopers on InterWeb, YouTube and Pellet People Forums and have come to some Conclusions.......These are Smitty Conclusions - yours may vary.........

First what I consider Top Tier High End are Out - like Memphis n others are Out. Too High $.
Second - Lower End is Out. Seen too many people replacing controllers on PitBoss, Camp Chef and others due to Large temp swings ( up to 100*), temp overshoots and flame outs. They are replacing them with $200+ PID controllers
And these grills use little to No stainless.

Which leaves me with 2 categories :

High End (for me): picks would be a Mak 1 Star or a Blazin Grill Works Grand Slam or Grid Iron.

Mid Grade: 1st pick RecTec Stampede or Bull. -Better controller, stainless burn pot, shield, grease pan and grates. And their Customer Service Ranks High
2nd pick: Green Mountain Jim Bowie.

There’re are a couple others that would fall into those two groups but I don’t like them for one reason or another - some I just don’t like how they Look.

So OverAll if I Bumped my Head and went Goofey - I would order a RecTec Stampede with optional top grate and exhaust Vents . $988 to my Door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoDZIC3KDM&app=desktop

Now let’s get back to Gravity Fed and Insulated Cabinet talks.......:mrgreen:

And my Conclusions may change as I Learn more........:shock:
But as of right Now - RecTec Stampede still Looks like the Best Bang for the Buck For Me (and in Original Post said Green Mtn. was my 2nd Choice) but I May Never get a Pooper.......:biggrin1:

Last edited:
if you wanted to try a Cheaper One I'd try a PitBoss Austin but you may end up putting a Savanah or Smoke Daddy PID controller on it ($200).......

Even that isn't guaranteed to work. I tried to switch to a Smoke Daddy, and it was months of headaches. I had to go through 2 controllers, 1 fan, 1 auger motor, and finally I just shipped it all back to them and went back to stock. For me, it never worked and my food was ALWAYS covered in soot. I really liked the idea of having more temp control, but that one wasn't the answer for me. Always a risk when you start making modifications.

Back