• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Pork frozen w/food saver Question

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
got a food saver from a relative lately. Love this thing.
I have some approx 1.5 pound blocks of pulled pork. Whats the BEST way to reheat with these things?
Boil to me seems like the way to keep it freshest. Micro will tough up the meat I think.

What say you?

Just boil the bag for about 15 minutes. When you cut it open it will be perfect.

Make sure bag does not melt to bottom of pan or you get mush.

Hmmm

Not bad. I think I will give it a spritz of a finishing sauce before I freeze next time and see how that turns out.
Consistency was a "tiny bit" toward mushy, but still quite tasty.

Just vac sealed the left over pork butts I did today. Ready for the freezer. Always comes out tasting good.
pork11-11-07008.jpg

You might want to think about double sealing the bags. Nothing worse than a bag of pulled pork filled with water. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Do you sauce the pork before your freeze??
or after it's heated up??

I've mixed sauce with pulled pork and burnt ends, frozen then vac'd for camping trips and they were terrific! Roughing it in style, boil,cut bags,cheap buns-no mess to clean up! But I normally don't sauce and vac for home use.

You might want to think about double sealing the bags. Nothing worse than a bag of pulled pork filled with water. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Very good advice! Extra insurance.

I use the Foodsaver and have never boiled a bag. I usually plan ahead and toss the frozen bag in the fridge a day before I plan to eat it. By then, I can put the pork or brisket into a roll or a wrap in the morning with a little sauce, zap it it for a minute when I'm ready to eat it, and it's perfect. When I'm using frozen veggies for a sauce or a stew, I usually just toss'em in the pot with no problems.

Just be careful not to let the bag stay in the boiling water to long, it comes out over cooked. Boiling is much better then nuking. Haven't tried adding a little sauce before freezing. Interesting idea, probably real good to add some Blues Hog Tennesee Red sauce before freezing.

Cheers,

We just got a Food Saver from Costco, my wife loves to use it. I did some pork this weekend and packaged the whole thing and froze it. Its a really nice presentation when sharing it with relatives and friends.
I will try the boil method, I think leaving the ends of the bag a bit long and putting 2 heat seals on each end should cure my anxiety about leakage:x.

I usually boil the water, then turn the heat down low before putting the frozen bag-o-pork in.

10 minutes, it still may not be heated through, but 15 usually turns out just right.

I don't actually boil the bags. I fill a bucket, clean of course, with HOT water, then put the bags in the bucket. It takes a 5# bag about an hour and a half to thaw. I've broken a couple of bags doing it the boiling way so I stay away from that method. When the pork is hot, I add more rub and mix in some sauce (hot of course) or sometimes, I add rubb and just some AJ, and let the eaters do the saucing themselves.

We just got a Food Saver from Costco, my wife loves to use it. I did some pork this weekend and packaged the whole thing and froze it. Its a really nice presentation when sharing it with relatives and friends.
I will try the boil method, I think leaving the ends of the bag a bit long and putting 2 heat seals on each end should cure my anxiety about leakage:x.

When I do briskets for NASCAR I do the Food Saver thing because we do boil it (10 to 15 minutes for a full flat)… I ALWAYS double seal it…. It doesn’t take much to weaken a seal and let the water roll in (I’ve had it happen before:mad:)…

Back