vacuum sealing smoked butt and brisket

bluffman2

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Stephen
I know sealing extends the life in the fridge, I am fixing to smoke 32 butts and 10 briskets for a upcoming event. once smoked and pulled/sliced and then sealed by a commercial sealer, how long is it safe in the fridge....im saying 10 days...what say you

14 days is the max I think with a HACCP. If you use a vacuum sealer you must jump through more health dept hoops and have a HACCP plan in many areas.

14 days is the max I think with a HACCP. If you use a vacuum sealer you must jump through more health dept hoops and have a HACCP plan in many areas.

That is my answer all the time also but it sounds like some just do it.

Vac-sealing will only slightly extend refrigerator storage.

I agree with the others if you are licensed check with local health authorities.

Vac-Sealing food will prevent off flavors from oxidation, but it won't impede food borne bacteria growth, simply because many of these will develop in the absence of oxygen (vac-seal). Many commercial vac-sealed items are heat processed after sealing, or even irradiated to prevent bacterial growth while in refrigerator storage.

If you are going for 10 days at a private event, I would immediately freeze them, then slowly thaw in the refrigerator a day or two before the event.

Yes it’s a private reunion
I will freeze them,thaw and put in steam table pans. Thanks for the info

And then re-heat in very warm (140 degree) water while in the same cryovac bags.
It really is the best way. Gotta watch if your plastic got cut while freezing.

Is there a 100% verdict if vacuum sealing hot food is a definite no-no?

I've understood that there are two reasons why you shouldn't do it:

1) Absence of oxygen and warmth means some bacteria grows faster
2) If you use a chamber vacuum sealer, it will boil the water in the meat, possibly lessening the quality of end product

Can someone shed some light on the 2, does it matter? I someties crash cool whole muscles in ice water and then vacuum seal, the process would be so much more convenient the other way around...

Back