Gateway drum cooker questions

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody has the answers to my questions, my sister in law wants to buy her husband a drum cooker, I offered up one of ugly drums but she wants the "new" shinny pretty drum. I suggested Gateway drum cookers. Then I was asked, how many grates do they have, or can use? If multiple, what's the spacing between the grates? On my ugly drum I often use 2 grates with great results when cooking larger quantities. So is this a good idea? Any body have pics that I could share or is the gateway a bad suggestion for a shinny pretty drum cooker.

Thanks

I'd ask Gateway.........looks like 1 grate about so many inches from fire.

[ame="https://youtu.be/inXFZtiY0rM"]https://youtu.be/inXFZtiY0rM[/ame]

http://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Gateway-Drum-Smoker-55ROYALwithLogo-Plate-p/55144.htm

Features

Three cooking levels
Plated steel cooking grate
Removable, high-capacity fire basket
Logo Plate
Lid hook inside grill lid
Fixed, center-mounted 3” Custom Dial Thermometer 50° – 500°F
Two welded, air adjusting intake pipes
Air adjusting exhaust pipe
Two welded steel handles
Fully Assembled
Removable Caster Wheel Kit
User Guide

Put a "new" shinney coat of paint on the UDS.

I've tried to tell her all that your saying, I plan on showing her the comments on here, so keep um coming. She's just impressed with looks, and likes the looks of the gateway.

If she wants ready to go and thats what she wants.. then get it...don't build, buy.....she'll be happy....:thumb: This is my build, works great, wouldn't do it again...I'd buy....lots easier....

Last edited:
Holy fark I just google-pho ed the gateway. Fark I don't like ceramics but for the cackle you can get a BGE for that.

Space for three racks. The bottom one is too close to the fire to do anything but sear. I cook on the top 2 at competitions. The Gateway is the Cadillac of drum cookers. I'm sure the haters are going to jump in here and offer their opinion without ever touching one. Take that for what it's worth. The results are verifiable and speak for themselves.

A PBC is a great cooker as well, and I have represented and competed on both a Pit Barrel and a Gateway. The Gateway is the more complete cooker, but that obviously comes at a price. If you have any other questions, fire away.

They sure are pretty too!

image-e1449631837997.jpeg

Gotta love qtalk. Where a $750 drum is overpriced but a $4,500 offset isn't.

All the usual drum benefits apply. Gateway drums also just happen to come fully welded, painted and ready to roll. Excellent customer service and proven results are also included lo.

Quite a few pics pics on our Facebook page...

Gotta love qtalk. Where a $750 drum is overpriced but a $4,500 offset isn't.

All the usual drum benefits apply. Gateway drums also just happen to come fully welded, painted and ready to roll. Excellent customer service and proven results are also included lo.

Quite a few pics pics on our Facebook page...

Well, I can end this right now. They are both over priced so I expect a huge discount on both by tomorrow. As in Free with curb side drop off.

If you want the best drum smoker on the market today check out the Hunsaker drum smoker. It's without a doubt the one to have. Go to Hunsakersmokers.com and have a look. I am not paid and or sponsored by them I just believe in them. They are the real deal

As someone who has cooked on about every cooker out there, I can honestly say that a Gateway drum is indeed the cadillac of drums. If you want a chevy thats your choice and okay. If the lady is not concerned about the price, then let her buy her man the best. Every man should be so lucky. Don't deprive the guy the opportunity of getting a great gift.

If she wants to pony up $$$ and buy him a nice, store bought drum, she should go for it. I've seen a lot of folk on this site "needing" a particular cooker- and it's usually all about "want".

Back