Tacos De Lengua

Lengua tacos FTW Tony! Looks great and what are you paying for it nowadays? Store next to me has them at $9.50/lb. :shock: A lot of the taquerias stopped serving because it's gotten so expensive.

Call a small town processor. My buddy slaughters one or two steers a year and they said they normally throw them away cause nobody wants them. They actually said if we would call a little in advance they would save us some from other people's and we could have them at no charge !

Absolutely LOVE lengua! Wife was squeamish the first time she had it but now enjoys it. Thanks for sharing!

Mine would be too but that looks so great I may have to slip her the tongue when she's not expecting it.

Great looking cook. I grew up in South Texas and we had lengua tacos every Sunday Morning before church. My mom always crock potted it the night before and it was served with homemade flour tortillas instead of corn. It is pretty much a breakfast only item down there. It is so cool to see the regional differences in cooking styles. Yours look AWESOME!!!!

Here in Southern California. Tacos de Lengua usually goes with green sauce. Never of having it for breakfast. Growing up this cut was for the kids since it was cheap and tender that any kid,toddler could eat them.

Lengua tacos FTW Tony! Looks great and what are you paying for it nowadays? Store next to me has them at $9.50/lb. :shock: A lot of the taquerias stopped serving because it's gotten so expensive.

$5.99 here at stater bros in San Bernardino. Have seen it for $7.99 other place. Same here no more tacos de Lengua at some taco spots due to price.

Great looking cook. I grew up in South Texas and we had lengua tacos every Sunday Morning before church. My mom always crock potted it the night before and it was served with homemade flour tortillas instead of corn. It is pretty much a breakfast only item down there. It is so cool to see the regional differences in cooking styles. Yours look AWESOME!!!!

Envious! The only time I had tongue was at my friends Dads house. He is from S. Texas. He put it in the oven at 200° overnight. We ate it Sunday morning with homemade salsa on flour tortillas. It was so good. I need to recreate that using the barbecue. Great cook.

Love me some Lengua, but it has become stupid expensive and many of the taco stands have stopped serving it here too. When I can get Ribeye for around the same price, I am choosing Ribeye all the time.

LOL! I saw a sammich on a menu today ... ciabatta bread, mozz cheese, tomato slices, basil leaves, balsamic ... $10

I guess some people will pay that kind of money for $0.50 of food, just to be seen eating it there.

*shrugs*

Tony - Please give more detail on your process for peeling the tongue prior to cooking. Almost every recipe I have tried calls for cooking the tongue before peeling.

How do you peel after freezing?

Thanks!!!

Tony - Please give more detail on your process for peeling the tongue prior to cooking. Almost every recipe I have tried calls for cooking the tongue before peeling.

How do you peel after freezing?

Thanks!!!

The tongue firms up. It's easier to peel off the skin with a sharp knife.
The reason I do this step first is get more smoke penatration and rub all over.
Either way it will be delicious.

You can smoke the tongue. Treat it like pulled pork. Wrap at 160 and once probe tender let it rest and the skin will peel with ease.

WHOO HOO!! Good to see you Tony!! Post up a thread here once in a while like before you were famous!!!

Back