Hot & Spicy Hog Wings With 3 Dipping Sauces

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I discovered a pack of hog wings in the freezer and made an impromptu appetizer. These were seasoned with a mixture of Smokin' Guns Hot and Temper Temper sold by Pendery's which is a blend of red and black pepper, jalapeno, & habanero.

qfCccrJ.jpg

Hog wings are a portion of a ham shank and they have been cured and cooked, so they just need about 45 minutes over a low heat or a fast deep fry. I smoked mine with hickory to bump the flavor in that direction.

3OhXgeY.jpg

89HWhAQ.jpg

For the sauces I used a basic Buffalo sauce, a maple chipotle sauce and a jalapeno dipping sauce.

XWFcHtx.jpg

HynDJRw.jpg

Now that looks like something that needs my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They look great. I have never seen them in the meat department at Publix. Are they called hog wings or is that what you call them?
How long did you smoke and at what temp?

Thanks, it looks very tasty! I really want to find and eat some!

never heard of them, but I would like to get to know them.

I'm thoroughly interested in these... but I need some help with what to request from the butcher/meat counter. Can you kick me in the right direction?

Okay, these things are the bees knees. They are the bottom end of a pork shank with the skin removed, and trimmed down to include just the tibia bone... the small one. My friend with the restaurant connections can get them in 2 ounce or 4 ounce sizes, and the ones in my photo are the 2 ounce ones which I like them the best. Your mileage may vary.

The downside is.... they are $7 a pound compared to shanks that are $3 a pound. Very reasonable for what they are, and we have them a few times a year. Here is a visual.

iBk7qDP.jpg

Usually I can find them at restaurant depot, there they are boxed as KC’s wild wings. They are pre cooked but I defrost and throw em on a smoker around 225 to bring them up to temp and then sauce em and sear them off. Man you cant go wrong.

I found them at Pioneer Meats.Got some 2 oz. headed my way.Thanks for the "Headsup".Ordered some pork belly sliders also.:clap2:

I've wanted to get these but they only come in 10lb frozen packages which is more than I want to store...might have to give em a whirl when football season comes around.

Your hog wings look great. I’ve seen them at GFS in a huge box and had to pass due to freezer space. Depressing.

The 1st time I ate some at a tailgate, I wondered how those would be battered and deep fried? Anyone tried it?

Those are good eats... Killer-B, ThirdEye! Going to have to try that Pendery’s TT - looks good!

Back