Great outdoors Smoky Mountain

G

goodearth

just purchased a Great outdoors Smoky Mountain from basspro it's running right now to burn off any oils etc. Does anyone have any advise on using this unit ie; mods and/or info on how it produces Q?

I hear that the wood box is too small so some people use a small cast iron skillet for that purpose. Others in here will chime in I am sure.

the one thing I heard was that it is tough to keep it running at 225 degrees that it likes to stabilize around 275 or so As for the wood box I'm use to a 6"x6" on a burner in my old grill so anything is better than that!

I have also heard that it is a warm weather smoker. Pretty hard to keep the temps you would want in the middle of the winter. Must be someway to insulate it though?

I've placed it in an area with wind block on 3 sides (right where the chair is in the pic) and I have a old welders blanket for insulation in cold weather OH and the spa will keep me warm during those cold nights too

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 133
here it is

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 124
I don't know anything about that smoker, but man what a nice way to watch it :),

Keep the water pan pretty full. I use a flower watering jug to add hot water as necessary. Look around the site for guys that use a stone flower pot base wrapped in foil or rocks in the water to help with temperature control.

My neighbor couldn't get his charcoal model to work (!) and gave it to me. Funny, it works just fine at my house...after a bit of Brethren help.

I'd get something under it before you grease up that wood deck. I have a different model of that smoker, and the problem I had was keeping the temp down in summer. Couldn't turn the gas down enough to stay at 225. It was a workhorse, though, for a long time. Lots of meat cooked in it!

I have one of those. I use it for ABT's, fatties and stuff like that. It will drip grease all over your deck. I have no problem keeping temps around 225 degrees with it.

The water pan pretty much only functions as a heat barrier. Fill it with sand and cover in foil and you won't have to worry about filling it with water all the time.

You should be able to find one of those heat mats meant to go under a propane heater for use in the house. They make them in multiple sizes and I be there is one the legs would sit on. This would protect your deck from grease as well as any stray heat from the burner. The top is metal with an insulation backing similar to an asbestos mat, not asbestos though 8).

That looks like mine 'cept mine is charcoal. The gas model might do better in cold weather as I would assume you could just crank it up. The charcoal one doesn't do well in cold weather, especially if there is a wind. I did have good luck wrapping it with an old blanket though. I had great success with it and plan on using it for a cold smoker for fish and jerky now that I have my Brinkman Stillwater with 1/4 steel construction.

Hoo (where's that #$&* been?)

I have 4 of them they work great,add water about every 3 hours.I cook about 60 pounds in mine every weekend and sell it by the pound,you will need to put something under it . it will get greasy

just purchased a Great outdoors Smoky Mountain from basspro it's running right now to burn off any oils etc. Does anyone have any advise on using this unit ie; mods and/or info on how it produces Q?

I have the same unit. been using it for years. turns out great stuff IMHO.

Mine holds temps pretty well even in winter. you do have to watch it some. a wind barrier might help if you have a cool wind and even if you go from sun to shade , it can effect temps a bit. keep water pan full and in fact, i put an extra disposable aluminum pan on bottom shelf with water in it too for an extra "heat sink".

we'll be anxiously awaiting your first food pron!

Thanks to all of you, I've got 4 chix legs 2 racks babybacks some beef ribs and a pot of beans going. Water pan is 1/2 and 1/2 water and a nice stout beer we should be eating chix at 1/2 time (GO PATS) smoker is holding 225 "like a rock"

I have the same unit. been using it for years. turns out great stuff IMHO.

Mine holds temps pretty well even in winter. you do have to watch it some. a wind barrier might help if you have a cool wind and even if you go from sun to shade , it can effect temps a bit. keep water pan full and in fact, i put an extra disposable aluminum pan on bottom shelf with water in it too for an extra "heat sink".

we'll be anxiously awaiting your first food pron!

Thanks to all of you, I've got 4 chix legs 2 racks babybacks some beef ribs and a pot of beans going. Water pan is 1/2 and 1/2 water and a nice stout beer we should be eating chix at 1/2 time (GO PATS) smoker is holding 225 "like a rock"

Just my opinion here...

Save your beer. The water in those boil so fast and the steam rises so fast that it's not going to do much as far as flavor is concerned.

Again, just my opinion...

ya but I like the thought that it might enhance the flavor as though it's a beer can chix but if not, it smells great!!!!!!!

Only 1.5 hours in but it's looking ok

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 38
That looks great.

Just a point for you. If it drips grease, it will run down the legs of the cooker.

Back