Berkshire Iberico

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Some good friends of mine started a coop of farmers to raise Berkshire pork. That was 20 years ago and they sure have grown, I think last count there was 300+ members. They raise them the old fashioned style. They get shelter with clean bedding, fresh water and a home based supplier of feed. Most are fed out to the 300# range, not what most packers want so they reserve one day to do their hogs.

i-tbpz7sv-L.jpg

They have a breeder in Wisconsin that feeds them acorns to mimic Iberico pork. That's a hind quarter I've been stashing away in the freezer to cure for ham.

i-jsw7xnN-XL.jpg

They let me try some of the chops off the same hog, the CI pan was used.

i-sSZQ93B-XL.jpg

Some asparagus that grows wild here cooked on the grill.

i-WZZ3cmN-X2.jpg

Berkwood farms, old friend of mine started the company 15 miles south of me in State Center.

http://betterpork.com

My friend sure liked it.

Very nice..... What kind of Birkshires are they? Shortlegged?

True Berkshire hogs are shortlegged.

Lucky friend!

I've raised Berks, they are personable pigs and good eatin'. Looks delicious Norm!!

They gave me a runt who's growing fast. Doubt I'll let him go to 300#'s, probably after harvest do a pig roast. You're all invited to come up and help out.

First one I've ever had jeanie, since he's all by himself he has adopted the cats. They hang out there to eat scraps and get warm. Hogs are the most intelligent farm animal in my opinion.

Looks awesome Norm! Can't wait to see the whole pig roast! Thinking of doing one myself this summer...

Where in Wisconsin are they, Norm? I'd love to get my hands on a good leg for a proccuttio

Food looks great!

They have farmers that raise them in WI Matt. The one I'm showing came from there but they found out it was too much so they only raised them two years. You can order from them on the website or call. Nice folks but keep in mind they only do a production run once a week. Oh and you don't have to text them either. They answer the phone.

They're eating acorns? Really? That's not Iberico, that's Bellota! Fark! I'm buying! Seriously, acorns transform the pig fat, making it mono-saturated. It is like olive oil. This is fabulous.

I've had Iberico Ham and it's delicious but that's the extent of my knowledge so I'll just sit back and soak up this knowledge. Thanks.

To be honest gore I'm guessing they let them graze in the woods after the acorns fall. Not like they have bins of them to ration out every day:)

The loins were good. I undercooked them knowing how fresh they were. If you don't hear from me tomorrow you'll know the pork or Cass did me in!

Nice leg, Norm! I'm envious of people who are able to live in the country and raise your own food, sure wish I could. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, though!

FIL had a Berkshire pig for a while and boy did he grow fast! Never seen a pig grow so fast.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing

I've had that acorn fed ham in Spain - truly amazing stuff.

All that looks great, Norm!

Thanks folks!

Wish the guy from Wisconsin would do another run of this style. I have tons of oaks on my farm but keeping pigs in would be impossible where they're at. Oh well maybe when I retire I'll give it a go.

My minor in college was animal science, I was going to be a vet or a EE. Glad I chose what I did but still enjoy raising cattle and piggers. Oh and I didn't know there'd be a trick question... :becky:

Back