Thanks BBQWilly!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Brother Will and I did a little trade this week, I swapped him some salami(Portugese Chorico) for some of his home made BBQ sauce. I gotta tell ya, that boy can cook. His sauce showed up today while I happened to have some loin backs on the grill. It rawked em!

Thanks Matt. I'm glad you liked it. That salami was great too. As a matter of fact I just went to get the last little bit and my wife informed me that it was all gone:tsk:. Apparently I'm not the only one who loved it.

Those ribs looks amazing.

Thanks Matt. I'm glad you liked it. That salami was great too. As a matter of fact I just went to get the last little bit and my wife informed me that it was all gone:tsk:. Apparently I'm not the only one who loved it.

Those ribs looks amazing.

That's great, Will! Glad you enjoyed it. That's my favorite to date.

Great trade awesome looking ribs and the sauce sounds delicious but I'm curious about the salami portion of the trade. I have never heard Portuguese chourico referred to as salami. Don you have any information on the salami or maybe a cook thread I can check out.

Those ribs look great Shagdog!
Nice trade guys!

It is a dry cured sausage, identical in preparation to other traditional salamis I've made, just different flavor profile. Maybe salami isn't technically correct? I dunno, seems right to me but I could be wrong. Like I said, it was dry cured, never cooked. 3lbs ground 2lbs hand cut meat and fat. Hung to air dry for about 6 weeks after fermenting 48 hrs. The recipe is from Len Poli's site.

Willy canned it i assume. I have to get a pressure canner.

I have a canner but I dont use it anymore. My mother-in-law told me to just boil the top until it got hot, make sure the top of the jar is clean and screw it on. Put it on the counter and within a few minutes it will pop.

I have a canner but I dont use it anymore. My mother-in-law told me to just boil the top until it got hot, make sure the top of the jar is clean and screw it on. Put it on the counter and within a few minutes it will pop.
Ah yep I wasn't thinking, It's a tomato product so it's acidic and only needs boiling.

I still need to get a pressure canner for meat etc..though.

That looks incredible, well done. I'm Portuguese and I would not call it salami instead I would just simply call it chourico (sho-ree-soo). I checked out the recipe at Len Poli's site and his ingredients are pretty spot on, the only thing lacking would be massa de malagueta but in his footnote below he refers to Pri Pri sauce which is basically the same thing. Today typically it is hot smoked but back in the day it was cold smoked and dry cured. I can totally imagine how it tastes just from the ingredients, the massa de malagueta would add another level to the flavor profile. If you ever want to play around with the recipe and dont have the pepper paste in your area I would be happy to send you some. :thumb:
Sorry to derail your thread but I'm drawn into anything Portuguese, I guess it's in my blood. :becky:

Well, it's almost midnight and I'm checking in on things after a few beverages and now I have to try and sleep with visions of dancing ribs and chourico in my head. And maybe even chourico dipped In the sauce for a late night snack on some farking triskets. Damn you both!

Back