CL Cimarron Score

jstokes3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last summer I bought a COS for $30 to see if it would be something I would like as opposed to the Weber kettle I was using. I did like it a lot. When I have the time, tending a fire and managing the cook is very enjoyable. This week I found a Brinkmann Cimarron on CL that I got for $100. It is old and rusted and very heavy. Part of the fun for me will be to restore it back to its former glory. The two biggest functional issues I see with it are that the firebox lid has a gap at the bottom when closed and as you can see in the pictures, the wheels are on the wrong side. I think the firebox lid will be okay with a new stove gasket. Since I will be moving it a lot during the restore, the wheels being wrong is the biggest issue. I sprayed them with some PB Blaster and will try to get them off. The last thing I want to do is break them. This thing seems heavy duty to me. Do you think I can bang on them or do I need to be gentle?

I welcome all restoration suggestions.

I will take pictures during the restoration and start a new thread once I get it done.

Here are the CL pictures.
01515_1E54cdiUpfZ_600x450_zps8d5d3048.jpg

00606_aFcI1hairA3_600x450_zps0a1c4acb.jpg

00M0M_cpZV4ZOoSwL_600x450_zpsfa0c40a3.jpg

Nice price on that Cimmaron.

To switch the wheels, it might be easiest to swap the legs around. Pretty sure they are held in place to the cook chamber with bolts through threaded leg sockets.

The original thermo is missing. Any thermo with a 1/2" NPT will fit in the bung in the cook chamber door.

To switch the wheels, it might be easiest to swap the legs around. Pretty sure they are held in place to the cook chamber with bolts through threaded leg sockets.

Thanks, that is the plan. I had one side up on a lift yesterday and they would not budge. So I sprayed them with PB Blaster and will try a little more forcefully next time.

My little offset is exactly the same as yours. Only they called it a "Brinkman." If I remember correctly, those legs come off (I think they are in a leg socket, held in with a bolt.) Should be easy to take off and swap to the correct position.

This is a good little smoker. I have used mine for quite a few years, and although I prefer my big offset, it still turns out great BBQ.

BTW - I paid $500 for mine, brand new, from Ace Hardware 7-8 years ago. If you got yours for $100, you got a great deal. Go get a Tru-Tell thermo and thread it into the plugged hole on the lid and you're ready to go. The only mod I have done to mine is to make a new fire grate. The original one was an el cheapo "grill." My new grate made it way better.

Go get a Tru-Tell thermo and thread it into the plugged hole on the lid and you're ready to go.

Thanks, I just ordered a 1/2" NPT thermometer as well as 2 for grate level. Might be overkill but it will look good. :wink:

I was able to switch the legs today with some gentle persuasion. (if you know what I mean) It is so much easier to move around now. I'm not sure what the guy was thinking when he put it together.

The restoration will take me a while. My weekends are shot for a while and the unusual snow and cold in NC do not help.

We in the sunny south are looking forward to the progress on your rebuild, good luck!!

Back