• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how long can i rest in a cooler

Tony A

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I have two pork shoulders and a brisket how long can I rest them in a cooler for max time?

I've had them in there as long as 10 hours and still burned my fingers when pulling the pork... 1 hour minimum is best, and preferably less than 10 really. Last weekend we did a large cook and had them in the cooler for 5 hours, again burning fingers when pulling.

It all depends on ambient conditions and all but several hours. I have held a butt for 5 hours before and I bet some have gone longer. If you can monitor the meat temp while it is in the cooler, you will be safer.

You're probably good for at least 6 hours. Probe them and check their temps...if they are still above 145° you are still good. FSIS says 140°...

I do 4-6 hours all the time, still to hot to handle without gloves. It does as mentioned depend on how and what you use. A good quality dry cooler and wrapped in heavy towels or blankets will help.

Just this past Sunday I wrapped my brisket in towels and put it in a cooler that was not preheated. It was still very hot 6 hours later and delicious.

You're probably good for at least 6 hours. Probe them and check their temps...if they are still above 145° you are still good. FSIS says 140°...

This, if your that worried keep a thermometer in it and once it hits 145, I believe you have a few hours to pull and eat

" how long can i rest in a cooler" with that kind of title I thought your wife had kicked you out and you were lookin for a place to sleep. As far as question goes I have held for about six and it was still to haot to handle bare handed.

you can rest the meat there until the internal temp comes down to 140 degrees, not that you would be doing that but that's the cut off and depending on the cooler that could take quite awhile especially if you wrapped them in towels and set them on a heating pad in the cooler. hope this helps

If by "max time" you also want the optimum rest time, I find that between one and two hours is perfect for butts. At least an hour, IMO.

I'm not sure about brisket.

CD

Back