New Weber Summit Kamado

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Picked up my new Weber Summit Kamado today. Had a few issues but I think I will get them worked out. The lid had some damage from how it was packed. Not a big deal, Weber is sending a new one.

I misinterpreted the assembly picture when attaching the back legs to the lower storage grate. Getting the legs back off was really hard and I bent the storage grate a little. I'm not sure if I caused this or not but the bolts that attach the legs to the bowl wouldn't thread properly. They will only go in about 3/4 of the way. They get to a certain point and then just spin. I took the leg out of the frame and tried to put the screw in and it still gets to a certain point and stops. This is on the back legs only. I finally called Weber and they are sending me two new leg assembly's as well but they won't be here till late December at best.

I went ahead and finished assembling the grill. It's pretty wonky as it stands but I am assuming that will improve when I get the new legs. It's usable as it is.

I hope that doesn't discourage anybody from buying one. I am at least partly to blame and I think I will get it worked out. Will burn it in tomorrow and cook something on it.

SqtKEdNl.jpg

Scratch On The Lid:
UdFsdill.jpg

84IKbNCl.jpg

W9V4efMl.jpg

pG8xzycl.jpg

uY1cVT1l.jpg

TMYER59l.jpg

I think Weber has done a nice job from an aesthetics standpoint with this 2nd generation... that and the price is better. A win win :)

When you close the bottom vent handle all the way, do the arms cover the holes completely or is there still a small opening?

When you close the bottom vent handle all the way, do the arms cover the holes completely or is there still a small opening?
Probably hard to tell in the pic but yes.
5e30f2d351cd5790792bee1f11ef5d1c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Man I love the poo out of my non-cart version Weber Summit Charcoal. I'm pretty sure I would beat a path to get the replacement you have if something were ever to go wrong.

Did they maintain the penetration for the blower system? I use my BBQ Guru pretty regularly.

I would be curious about the smoothness of the sweeper system for other WSC owners. Scrapes in the bowl, lump getting caught, bends in the sweepers - what is the experience?

Nice! Think I’m ordering the cart version as soon as it’s available. Looking forward to some cooking shots from it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man I love the poo out of my non-cart version Weber Summit Charcoal. I'm pretty sure I would beat a path to get the replacement you have if something were ever to go wrong.

Did they maintain the penetration for the blower system? I use my BBQ Guru pretty regularly.

I would be curious about the smoothness of the sweeper system for other WSC owners. Scrapes in the bowl, lump getting caught, bends in the sweepers - what is the experience?
There is a port for a temp control system.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m curious how the new thinner diffuser will hold up over time. I understand they had to change a few things to get the cost down, but I like the hinges on mine in case I need to add coals during the long smokes.

What is the origin of manufacture? My Summit says USA - I'm hoping the new ones are too.

I wish this new cooker would have a better way to deal with lump. Those sweeper arms get trashed if you use lump very much.

My 20 year old performer..is starting to get long in the tooth and am starting to look for replacement. The introduction of the Weber Kamado...had me thinking/wishing it could be a replacement for my performer AND my WSM.

Anybody have a work around using lump in a weber with the Sweeper clean-out system?

I use lump in my weber kettle all the time, and ended up buying another charcoal grate, putting it on top of the existing one, but turned 90 degrees. Makes the holes much smaller so the little bits of lump stick in the grates instead of dropping down to the bottom of the BBQ. This has helped with the sweeper system for me.

I'm curious about this new kamado as well. Looks like it will be pretty versatile without the weight of a ceramic kamado.

There are many sizes and manufacturers of the top of the line kick ash basket. I have a friend that uses an undersized basket in his Large BGE. He only uses lump and He loves it. I have another friend that has a smaller basket that he sits in his smoker and cooks chicken on either side.
As insulated as the double wall Weber Kamado appears in reviews would this be an option while using lump?

Back