Epic Ribs Failure

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello folks.

So I put a Big Poppa Drum together last year and have been using it to smoke everything and very successfully at that. However, the one thing I fail at is ribs. I only cook spares cut St Louis. I don't do baby backs.

On my old ugly uds i can smoke ribs every day to dang near competition level. They are great and get good reviews form everyone who tries them.

On my old ugly uds I cook ribs at 3 roughly at 225-250 and then pull and foil for an hour ... ish and then unwrap and sauce for around 30 minutes. They come out great.

Now on my Big Poppa EDS, at the 3 hour mark on 225-250 the bottom of the ribs are hard as a rock! The top of the ribs are all but perfect. Is cooking ribs on the BP EDS that much different than on my old UDS? Should I be flipping once an hour and checking? It seems to let the ribs go on the EDS for longer than 3 hours is a mistake for sure.

Is there a trick I am missing on the BP EDS? As I said, all other foods I cook on my Bip Poppa smoker turns out perfect every time. I just don't get it.

Wish I had a pic or something to show of yesterdays cook. I don't think it would have done my problem justice though as they looked amazing all at the same time almost being un eatable.

For now I will just stick to cooking ribs on old leaky until I get the EDS figured out.

P.S.
I posted about this on the drum smoking forum as well so I could compare results.

Thanks for taking a look.

Ray

Without a diffuser it cooks like any UDS...look in your original build thread and you'll see the diffuser i sit on a grate on the upper u bolts

Just dials. I had an oven thermo I used in them both to find out the offset in temp. My old uds is 50 degrees off the dial and my BO EDS is 35 degrees off the dial. I know its not perfect but its all I had to test with.

So the general word over at the drum smoking forum is to turn and flip often and use a diffuser if I have one, which I do. I was happy to see Big poppa chime in on it for me.

Back