What pellet machine NOT to buy. Or to buy.

Has Weber fixed the issues with the Smokefire?

The real ones or the over exaggerated ones, lol. Most of the issues I had were firmware/software causing major inconsistencies cook to cook. These problems were after a forced update when the grill had been running great for several months prior, I waited months for another update to fix the problems they introduced with the update before giving up. The new ‘Stealth’ model has a redesigned hopper and relocated finger guard to help pellet feed concerns (which were mostly resolvable by removing the finger guard on the Gen1 & 2). I sent mine back to them over a year ago, so I can’t say personally if the firmware/software is better or not. However, I see less complaints on a group I still peek at now and then.

The SmokeFire should be used with drip pans on greasy low and slow cooks though. Something that isn’t necessary for most other pellet grills, but a minor inconvenience if you want a pellet grill that grills/sears like the SmokeFire does.

I have a GMG Davey Crockett that travels in the motorhome and a large Pit Boss Copperhead that lives on the patio. I think the Davey Crockett gives more smoke flavor. One thing I notice is that the fan on the Pit Boss seems to always run at the same speed and sometimes it will go for a time with no smoke coming out the stack. When it feeds more pellets it gets smoky. The fan on the Davey Crockett speeds up when it feeds pellets, then slows in between. The Davey Crockett always has at least some smoke coming out the stack.

Oh boy. I was into pellets for awhile and burned a couple thousand pounds of pellets through three different cookers - here are my thoughts fwiw

Yoder 640 - solid unit, I really liked the layout (atbbq and chef tom videos are money). Smoke profile was good, and certainly lighter than chunks and charcoal or stick burners. Can direct heat grill very well with grill grates (usually I’m not a fan of GG, but they work well here). It is heavy duty but mine rusted all the time and drove me crazy.

Memphis elite (USA made) - very well made, like a Swiss watch compared to the utilitarian yoder. Gets much hotter than the yoder for direct grilling, but the direct grill space is small. Imo the smoke profile was lighter than the yoder.

Gmg davey crockett - had this in the fifth wheel. Little thing has a lot of radiant heat because of proximity of food to the deflector plate but it smoked pretty good. Might of had more smoke flavor than either the yoder or memphis

Pellets make a big big difference too. I tried several kinds and bought in bulk. For me, lumberjack 100% hickory (mixed with 100% cherry) gave me the best results. That said, it is more of a smoked seasoning vs a smoke flavor. Takes awhile for taste buds to adjust. Mine actually adjusted the other way after a couple years…I had some que at a campground that was cooked on a 500 gallon offset and I had been used to my pellets…I was blown away how much more flavor the big offset imparted on the meat. I had stick burners and gravity fed smokers in the past, and liked them all, but this was when I decided to get off the pellet train and get back to burning logs for my que and using lump for direct heat grilling. My results were likely more consistent with pellets but when I get it right on my workhorse offset, there is simply no comparison.

I haven’t eaten food off a Mak or a lsg pellet, but if I was looking for a pellet, those two would be at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can’t answer that, and they won’t either, but what I can tell you is it’s a different animal. The GMG that I bought to dip my toe into the pellet world cannot hold a candle to the MAK flavor wise, well in any way actually.

if i could buy any pellet cooker it would be a mak. problem is I'm cheap...or poor...maybe both. now that I think about it I've never spent more than $300 for any cooker even though it's totally justified for the amount I use them.

I've owned 2 pellet cookers. a tailgater traeger that was awful, may have been defective luckily I got a great deal and sold it for what I paid for it then I seen a pit boss classic (700 sq in) for $200. I have been happy for the price with it but it leaves a lot to be desired. sure it can grill a steak or 2 burgers very well and puts out a perfect profile for smoked turkey and prime rib. I don't mind cooking things like bbq apps and meatloaf on it either. still majority of the time I put out a better product with with my kettle for grilling or my drum for bbq. yes it's convenient for start up but honestly my drum holds temps better and no worries of a flameout or electronic failure.

if i could buy any pellet cooker it would be a mak. problem is I'm cheap...or poor...maybe both. now that I think about it I've never spent more than $300 for any cooker even though it's totally justified for the amount I use them.

I've owned 2 pellet cookers. a tailgater traeger that was awful, may have been defective luckily I got a great deal and sold it for what I paid for it then I seen a pit boss classic (700 sq in) for $200. I have been happy for the price with it but it leaves a lot to be desired. sure it can grill a steak or 2 burgers very well and puts out a perfect profile for smoked turkey and prime rib. I don't mind cooking things like bbq apps and meatloaf on it either. still majority of the time I put out a better product with with my kettle for grilling or my drum for bbq. yes it's convenient for start up but honestly my drum holds temps better and no worries of a flameout or electronic failure.

I am in agreement with you. I have a camp chef that I have gutted mechanically and electronically, upgraded controller and wifi antenna, used premium pellets, pellet tubes, sealed openings etc. I cannot for the life of me get the same "smoke flavor" out of that damn thing compared to my WSM or backwoods. That said, I have not ventured in to the higher end models like MAK or yoder. Perhaps one day I will, but I am getting good results with a tad more physical effort out of my Backwoods, especially with a controller/fan.

I have a RecTec 590 and I love it. I had some missing parts, a handle, customer service was great. Got the parts to me and some free rubs. The app has been updated and it seems to be a little more user friendly. It use to have you tap the screen to change temps, by fives. And it would notify you every time you tapped it....with a beep. Now there is a slider, and no beeps.
It's as "set it and forget it" as your inside oven is. I've checked on the grill and the food on it while at work. Its chugged along overnight with no issues. The built in temp probes seem fairly accurate. Smoke profile would be my only complaint. I have used several brands and ended up on Bear Mountain Savory or Sweet. I don't have any regrets over it.

I've been researching and I'll be honest... I'm a bit confused. I'm a UDS guy, but sometimes I'd just really like the convenience of a pellet pooper. It seems everyone has favourites, and everyone has ones they don't like.

I'm into a bit stronger smoke flavour, but I have no issues with throwing an A-Maz-en tube or two in there to get additional smoke. My main concerns are reliability, ability to work flawlessly down to about 5F (my inkbird doesn't and why I now put it in criteria), temperature control and (see inkbird comment) wifi.

I have no idea which brands are good or not good. Locally Traeger, GMG and Yoder are available (I'm thinking of warranty here). Not sure I'm comfortable with going to Yoder pricing on a first time machine... Heck, you are talking to a UDS guy here.

Throw out your thoughts, tell me what I'm missing or overlooking. Heck, educate me please.

My first advice to you is too try before you buy… If you’ve had bbq off of a pellet grill before, then you pretty much know what you’re going to get. If you haven’t, then it’s worth the effort to do so. Since you’re use to the smoke flavor profile of your UDS, then going to a pellet grill will be a definite change. Is pellet smoke good or bad?? That would be completely up to you, but no one would want to spend $700.00-$2000.00 dollars only to be very disappointed. FWIW. I converted my pellet grill into a charcoal and hardwood burning stick burner by adding a smoke basket and a hardwood and charcoal burning smoke generator to it and produces very good results. I finally found the smoke flavor profile I was looking for after all that chasing…. Smh.. Something your present day pellet grills simply can’t replicate. If true hardwood and charcoal is important to you, the only way to get true hardwood/charcoal smoke flavor profile is from…. True hardwood and charcoal.. The set-it and forget-it ease makes pellet grills very appealing. Is pellet smoke bad?? No, it’s just very light compared to a traditional stick burner and it will be an adjustment. Also, temps above 275* degrees produces almost no smoke what so ever. Perhaps give some research into the current PID Controller Gravity Feed Smokers that are available. FYI. Every Smoker type will have there pros and cons, so research and testing is very important. If you’re set in stone on getting a pellet grill, one pellet smoker not mentioned in the previous posts that’s worth checking out is the IronSide Smoker, Pellet assist Stick Burner. It’s not cheap, but worth researching. .02. Good luck

I bought a Yoder few years back. I ended up not being pellet guy because of the smoke flavor. I agree with those that say try food off one before you buy it. I could have saved a couple grand if I had done that.

I have a Traeger Timberline and have not been disappointed. I have a stick burner and an egg and have used all for my smoking needs. There is a definite technique to get that smoke flavor from my Traeger. It has taken me numerous cooks and research to achieve that but it can be done. Good pellets, smoke tube, overnight long cook at a low temp (200) on super smoke setting are just a few of the things I do. I love my stick burner but sometimes set it and forget it is a nice option to have! Good luck

I have an FEC100 and I’d highly recommend it. There are a couple good used ones for sale in the Bretheren Sales section in the $2000-2500 range. It’s a commercial unit that is very well insulated, which saves on pellets, especially in the winter. The smoke flavor is great, but a notch below a barrel or offset.

Before this FE, I had a GMG that was a piece of junk, and ironically it is the only brand new smoker I’ve owned. That said I did have a GMG once before that worked great. If you want a new one, the MAK is a great option.

I have a Mak and not to be abrasive but I have not experienced as much smoke flavor as everyone claims. What I like best is that it won’t rust. I had gift cards that cut the price to about half. I would never pay full price and if I had to do it over again, I would not.

I have a Mak and not to be abrasive but I have not experienced as much smoke flavor as everyone claims. What I like best is that it won’t rust. I had gift cards that cut the price to about half. I would never pay full price and if I had to do it over again, I would not.

Have you tried Lumberjack Hickory pellets?

I bought my MAK in the 2020 group buy. I wanted the LSG pellet grill but Chris couldn't get the controllers at the time to release it when I wanted to buy. I have been very happy with the MAK. The customer service after purchase has been awesome. I use Bear Mountain pellets and get plenty of smoke. After Covid I wanted nothing made in China.

I have a Rectec and my son has a MAK. Between the two, the MAK puts out a heavier smoke flavor. My sense from reading posts here though is that a UDS or WSM puts out a stronger profile than many other options — including a (clean running) stick burner. I’ve seen very few threads from folks coming from one of those that could get anything similar from a pellet grill, regardless of manufacturer. Some that came from a UDS have learned to appreciate what they get from a pellet grill but not because it’s the same — just because it’s also producing great food.

Pellet grills can produce fantastic flavors but they aren’t going to be the same as what you’re getting today.

Related to what Bob C Cur asked, what pellets have you been using? Brand and flavor? What temps have you been running? Both of those really do make a difference with pellet smokers. Many pellets are 70-80% oak stripped of bark for consistent BTUs.

Ironbrew, if you like kettles-this one may be one to get your feet wet for cheap in the pellet game.

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b380-wood-pellet-grill?variant=40960267518109&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RT_Google_SmartShopping_Grills_Middle_High&utm_term=&utm_content=538844323359&gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkYB6bv9AtznziTV5ZiTWCB65uwpbuh8JbKUkxyocdJY103vmDwijsBoCjTkQAvD_BwE

The RecTec RT-B380 kettle pellet grill on sale for $100 off at $399. Goes up to 749 degrees direct heat sear or down to 225 degrees.

Looks interesting and different.

MAK is overrated in my opinion. Lots of flame outs, and tons of glitches. I will say that MAK has the best customer service I've ever experienced. I kept mine 12 months before I sold it at a loss. LSG is the best pellet grill I have owned, hands down. Great Smoke flavor with the program on the FireBoard. I have owned and sold most likely on this site:

GMG, Yoder's, MAK, Cookshacks, RecTec (When they were spelled that way), FireCraft, Memphis, ABS, Camp Chef and Traeger. I'll take the LSG over them all.

Back