Saturday Tri Tip

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Nice prime tri tip from Fresh Market, dusted with Oakridge Santa Maria. Into the fridge to dry brine for a few hours then on the PK over Weber bricks and probably some Mesquite chunk.

128509501_10158719314346341_155417124825848448_n.jpg

Oh this is gonna be GOOD!

I think cow is gender specific (cow=female, bull=male, steer=male (sort of ;-) ). Beef and/or cattle is a gender neutral reference.

The tri tip looks great. Is it easy to find in Ohio?

I guess you have a beef with cattle names. See, there ya go.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I need to do another one soon myself.

I think cow is gender specific (cow=female, bull=male, steer=male (sort of ;-) ). Beef and/or cattle is a gender neutral reference.

The tri tip looks great. Is it easy to find in Ohio?

Yeah, pretty easy if you know who carries it. Kroger and the like do not. Fresh Market and my favorite butchers do.

Looking good over in OH, Mik!

Tough to beat Santa Maria on beef... (unless, in my opinion, you mix it with Carne Crosta).

Last edited:
That's a good looking tri tip. You'll definitely enjoy it.

On the cow thing - we don't call "cow meat" cow bc "cow meat" is from a beef cow breed as opposed to a dairy cow or a draft cow (to be overly technical). You could technically eat a dairy cow, but after a couple mediocre ribeyes you'd appreciate the difference. Make sense?

Looks awesome! I just ordered 5 Oakridge rubs and it looks like I missed the Santa Maria, Dang it. I got the Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub instead. I was trying to remember all the popular ones. Next time :-D

Looks great Mik. One of these days I really need to try tri tip. Always see them in Walmart

Looks PERFECT to me.I love the doneness and agree,you can add more seasoning but cannot take it away.Same with internal temp,you can toss it back on the grill for a few minutes but you cannot uncook anything.Tastee looking Tri.

Looks perfectly cooked. But it appears that you carved the large half there with the grain. That half should of been cut at a 90 degree angle to the small half.

https://youtu.be/gmxHmuV4vTU?t=74

That video explains the (IMO) best way to carve up a Tri Tip. Going exactly against the grain for both grain directions gives it the best chance to be amazingly tender.

Back