Freezen stuff - pork

Paul B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Long time no post, but got a question.

The high school I work at has an end of year luncheon for the staff and faculty. The school also has an ag dept and the students do ag stuff. Well one of the kids raised a pig for the county fair and won grand champion. The boys dad bought the pig at the fair auction and has donated it to the school for the luncheon. They had the pig processed, but to their surprise the processor didn't follow instructions and ended up basically quartering it and no deboning. That's not the real problem we can handle cutting to our needs. The real problem is: This pig will be in the school freezer for six months!!! How should we wrap it to prevent freezer burn as much as possible. To date we have double bagged the meat and put in freezer. (came from the processor frozen).

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated. We have about 150 lbs of processed meat.

Thanks,

Paul B

From my experience (owning a meat locker) pork wrapped in plastic/white butcher paper will easily last a year in the freezer. I have had older (up to 2 years) in a deep freeze. As for the double bags, I'm not sure. I know when we put pork trim in the freezer in a plastic bag it starts to show sign of freezer burn after a couple months. That is just 1 bag. If it were me I would try and wrap it in some butcher paper also and then I think it would be good to go.

Cling wrap and butcher's paper or cling wrap and HDAF.Wrap it as tightly as possible.

Ok, thanks BBQ4FUN and Hoss. Don't have butcher paper but maybe could get some. I have the cling wrap and could double wrap with plastic again.
What gets me is the processor wrapped some sausage in butcher paper and nothing else, just put in black plastic garbage bag and froze. I'd be livid if it was mine.

So....wrap in butcher paper, wrap in cling wrap and plastic(kitchen grade)bags and I should be good to go???

Thanks,

Paul B

Back