Rack of Pork

L

LouCfur

Picked up a nice sized rack of pork at Costco a few weeks ago and have had this planned for our Christmas dinner today.

IMG_0014-3.jpg

First rubbed it with a decent mixture I came up with.

IMG_0018-3.jpg

Then slathered it with spicy brown mustard.

IMG_0020-4.jpg

Then packed chopped pecans on the entire surface of the meat.

IMG_0022.jpg

Into the smoker at 225o with apple wood.

IMG_0023-2.jpg

Got smoking at 225o and I'll pull it around 155-160o. More pics of the finished product to come.

Lookin' good- I like the pecans! If you want to knock their socks off, have your butcher make a crown roast, and stuff the middle with apple stuffing. Serve it with the little paper frills on the bone ends. I did that the first time I had the in-laws over, and they've been coming back ever since (almost 30 years).

Bellllllllllllllllllch! That was mighty tasty, y'all shoulda been here! I thought about crowning it but too short. Sorry of my life you know!

Took about 4 hours to get it up to temp and ran about 250o most of the time.

IMG_0001-18.jpg

Sliced in 1/2 and everyone got a center cut. Got a little smoke ring even thru everything I had on it.

IMG_0004-14.jpg

Plated up with a creamy mustard sauce with sweet and sour red cabbage and spaetzle with brown gravy.

IMG_0011_2.jpg

Everyone seemed to really like it including me.

Merry Christmas to all! Now I got drinkin to do.

That looks mighty good. I haven't seen Costco carry the bone in racks. I will have to look a bit more next time around.

rack of pork is one of my favorite roasts. Amazing when done correctly, which looks like how you chose to do it.

Great looking feast Lou! Looks like you had a great Christmas. :-D

I've been doing these racks for a couple of years with awesome results. The reason you have not seen them is Costco only does it from T-day til christmas. One month of twelve. I lubricate well, then rub and cool overnight. Then I sear it on all sides on a hot grill, then transfer to smoke a finish to 145. They are amazing. Even cold the next day they are tender, flavorful and moist.

I saw those in Costco the other day. Wasn't sure how I'd want to cook them so I didn't buy any. Now I know...

Thanks for posting.

Back