• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Feedback

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little feedback on people's ideas on chicken thighs. Not looking for specific recipes or brands but I'm wondering if people lean a little on the spicy side when competing or is sweet the way to go. Do you inject?

I don't inject, I do like mine just a bit spicy. I had one friend/competitor who offered to give me his opinion on my chicken and he said it was a bit too spicy. I didn't have any idea, but my tastes were obviously different. I've had top 10 chicken in 4 of the last 5 comps.

I brine for 2 hours and then inject. I add a little Tennessee Red to make it a little more tangy. It's more savory than sweet or spicy. I just looked it up and I averaged around a 171 score last year including the Royal Invitational and Open.

I too lean towards a brine and finished product that is a tad spicy with some sweet. Chicken has been pretty consistent for me in getting calls.

My view is this , if your a "spicy person" then whats a hint of spicy to you, prob will offend 40/50% of judges ... so i play it way safe with spicy mine has small amount of just twang not even prob be called spicy , cause im not spicy fan i cant do hot stuff.

Different towns different judges different teams for the most part so it may be a little different depending where your cooking. Most teams do put a little hint of heat with that sweet and it's been a winner since forever but just keep in mind good well balanced bbq that does not offend the judges gets good score, most of the time, again depends on that days judges.

Check out a step by step video on the YouTube, How To BBQ Right Competition chicken thighs, I hear that Fire Dancer dude is pretty cool :razz::razz:

I mean if I was gonna bet on someone to win chicken!!

Anyone do a dry brine? Whatever your rub of choice is and let it sit for several hours vs wet brine?

I don't compete but i judged for 5 or 6 years. You definitely want spice, but make sure the rest of the flavors are balanced with it. Salt, tang, sweet, spiciness, need to compliment. Really sweet, is not going to appeal to a lot judges unless the savory, salty and pepperiness part balances it out. You could go a little spicier if it is a pretty sweet sauce but then you might risk burning some lips? Do I like it spicier? ABSOLUTELY! I like my nose and eyes running. But I will still mark down for Q being too spicy with all things considered.

I don't compete but i judged for 5 or 6 years. You definitely want spice, but make sure the rest of the flavors are balanced with it. Salt, tang, sweet, spiciness, need to compliment. Really sweet, is not going to appeal to a lot judges unless the savory, salty and pepperiness part balances it out. You could go a little spicier if it is a pretty sweet sauce but then you might risk burning some lips? Do I like it spicier? ABSOLUTELY! I like my nose and eyes running. But I will still mark down for Q being too spicy with all things considered.

let me ask for some clarification on this.....and trust me, I'm not one of these guys who criticize judges, I'm not in that camp, so this is not a trap....lol

but you say that you love it so spicy that your nose runs and eyes water, but yet you will mark it down for being too spicy? Do you mean if it's too spicy for you, or do you mean you will mark it down if you think it's too spicy "in general", or as you say with all things considered?

let me ask for some clarification on this.....and trust me, I'm not one of these guys who criticize judges, I'm not in that camp, so this is not a trap....lol

but you say that you love it so spicy that your nose runs and eyes water, but yet you will mark it down for being too spicy? Do you mean if it's too spicy for you, or do you mean you will mark it down if you think it's too spicy "in general", or as you say with all things considered?

He's a fellow Texan that obviously likes a little heat.. pay no mind to him :biggrin1:

In IBCA where judges aren't certified and often are spectators at events, you literally have to shoot for balanced bbq.. they often mix ages, genders etc.. at judging tables.. so really just good bbq that isn't overly anything will score well most of the time. Not sure how it is in KCBS in terms of judges expectations.. other than the judging criteria

If we KCBS judges are doing our duty per the rules, then a judge's expectations will not come into play in the scores given.

Case in point... I like my ribs dry. That is how I cook them for myself and my famiily. When judging, the presences or not of a sauce does not come into play in the scores given.

Back