The Good One Open Range....crazy purchase or score?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
On a whim I bought an Open Range for $165. I know they retail pretty high but couldn’t find much info about what the typical used prices are. Seems like there aren’t many out there for sale (not sure if that is good or bad?). Figured I would give it a cook or two and see how I like it then make a decision on whether to keep or try and sell.

On a whim I bought an Open Range for $165. I know they retail pretty high but couldn’t find much info about what the typical used prices are. Seems like there aren’t many out there for sale (not sure if that is good or bad?). Figured I would give it a cook or two and see how I like it then make a decision on whether to keep or try and sell.

I think I paid close to $200 for mine and it was 1,000+ mile round trip in 23 hours. I'd pay $165 all day.

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247119

Was that in the Missouri/Kansas area? I saw one for around that price on Craigslist and was shocked it sat more than a couple days. I ended up selling mine up here in MN for $550.

I passed up one for $200 this summer that was rusted badly. If it’s in decent shape that’s a steal.

Used prices vary depending on what kind of shape they are in and how old they are. Most that I've seen for sale that are in good shape have been at about 1/2 of retail price.

As long as it works as it should, you got a steal at $165.

I think I paid close to $200 for mine and it was 1,000+ mile round trip in 23 hours. I'd pay $165 all day.

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247119

Was that in the Missouri/Kansas area? I saw one for around that price on Craigslist and was shocked it sat more than a couple days. I ended up selling mine up here in MN for $550.

Local online auction. I’m torn between keeping it or trying to flip it.

Used prices vary depending on what kind of shape they are in and how old they are. Most that I've seen for sale that are in good shape have been at about 1/2 of retail price.

As long as it works as it should, you got a steal at $165.

Some risk involved as it came from local online auction. Only pictures shown was outside pictures. Fingers crossed all the internals are there. Although from pictures shown it appears to be a Gen 3 version with very little to no rust.

The Gen III versions have the reversible smoker lid, removable ash pan and charcoal grate and no pull out ash pan. It's the latest version of OR.

They are great smokers that are easy to dial in and hold very stable temps for hours without refueling. Their only real negative are that they are kind of fuel hogs.

I would use it a few times before you decide if you want to flip it.

The Gen III versions have the reversible smoker lid, removable ash pan and charcoal grate and no pull out ash pan. It's the latest version of OR.

They are great smokers that are easy to dial in and hold very stable temps for hours without refueling. Their only real negative are that they are kind of fuel hogs.

I would use it a few times before you decide if you want to flip it.

Plan on it. When I told the wife about the purchase (after it was all said and done :heh:) I told her it should be a really good cooker for the Thanksgiving turkey. So the pressure is on. Hope a turkey at least fits.

Plan on it. When I told the wife about the purchase (after it was all said and done :heh:) I told her it should be a really good cooker for the Thanksgiving turkey. So the pressure is on. Hope a turkey at least fits.
I've never cooked a Turkey on mine but the smoker box should have two grates and you can remove the upper one if you need to so the turkey fits further down inside the box.

You stole it. I bought one for $200 last year and thought that a fantastic deal.

I think you will really like it. Cooks really, really well and the baffle heat control is the berries.

Well it turned out I believe to only be a Gen 2. At least I believe it to be a Gen 2 now. I’m not up to speed on the differences between each Generation. Between lack of pictures online when selling and me missing some signs due to being excited I mistook it to be Gen 3. May still be an alright deal at $160 but it definitely took away some of that excitement when I realized it.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. It's still a great deal. Nothing about the differences should significantly affect the way it cooks.

I believe the Gen II had the pull out ash pan that came out the side of the firebox in a tray fashion. Still a good deal.

160 is a steal, don't worry about it being gen 2

They do rust, mine already has surface rust few spots, but nothing too bad

I enjoy cooking on it, bought new so paid retail, and have no regrets

Back