20 LBS Prime Brisket cook help

South Butte Slim

Knows what a fatty is.
With the help of a crew we have been cooking BBQ suppers for 300 kids in our community every Friday for the past two months. This is our last Friday and we are cooking 160lbs+ of pork shoulder and one 20lbs brisket. The shoulder is for the kids the brisket is for our staff that have been working providing supper everyday during the last two months.

We start cooking the pork at 3am on my shirley so we can plate by 330pm. If I start the brisket at 3am and wrap at 165 will we be ready to eat at 5pm? Not sure how long the cook will go after its wrapped. Was thinking I could start the brisket earlier on my drum if we need more time. What do yall think can I get a 20lb brisket cooked in 13 hours? We usually cook around 250 to 300 degrees and will wrap in butcher paper. Any help would be appreciated.

Honestly, unless you run hotter than 300 I don't think you'll get it where you want it in 13hrs. Plus you'll need to rest it minimum 1hr prior to slicing and eating. The minimum I would plan for 15hr cook time.

When I had my bigger Shirley and did larger cooks I always like to run 300+ (even on small cooks too).

That way big meats get done in 6-7hrs (even large briskets). This was a cook 4yrs back and big meats went on around 5:45 and were done around 1pm the time stamps tell me. Folks ate a little after 2pm

OFzbbJMl.jpg

nw0yUwol.jpg

JudOFDdl.jpg

n9DgYjOl.jpg

vQp3yIll.jpg

If your cooking at 300 and going to wrap, you should have plenty of time.

Cook the flat and the point separated and it'll get done a bit faster, but I think you're looking at an ~18hr cook plus rest time. Definitely run it hot. 300-315F turns out some nice brisket quick. Hopefully you're doing the pork on a separate cooker.

Back