Sausage Casings

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying some homeade sausage for the first time this weekend. DOes anyone have any suggestions for where to buy casings? It looks like a lot of people sell them online, but I am hoping to get some before Saturday. Do grocery stores usually sell them? Any advice would be great, but if if I need to wait to get them online, there's always next weekend.

I get mine at midwestern research and supply, they have a store about 20 min away from me, thats where i get all my packing supplys, stuffer, grinder parts, they have it all. I you should be able to get them at the butcher shop also

Natural hog casings? Online prices are all over the map lately. To give you a ballpark price, I used to get 8 ounce salt brined packs for about 6$. Todays price from the same vendor is 8.49. Not a big deal, delivery for me takes about 2 business days. Ask a local butcher if they would be willing to sell you some. You may pay a little more, but if you want to make some sausage, what's a few cents?

If you have a Gander Mnt., Cabelas or Bass Pro place you could also check with them.

I would try Kevins advice, check with a real local meat mkt. who make their own sausages first.

Good luck, let us know how you made out.

My local small-chain grocery sells them in the meat counter, in packages. I usually get them from Bass Pro, it's on the way to town.

My great uncle used to do sausage at home...He'd get the casings from the dead pig hanging outside his house. :-D

My local small-chain grocery sells them in the meat counter, in packages. I usually get them from Bass Pro, it's on the way to town.

Many grocery stores have them, you just have to ask. In my neck of the woods, they are readily available during hunting season. The ones I usually get are packed in salt and have been frozen.

Our local grocery store(fareway) sells them to me. I've also gotten them at Cabela's.

I usually get mine from cabela's....I use my points from my cabela's visa card. pretty quick shipping. if you need them like tomorrow...try local specialty meat shop or grocery store.

I bet they do:becky: Between commercial hunting, and folks process domesticated animals and game, there is probably more home sausage making going on between you and Kerreville than any place in the state other than certain areas along the Louisiana and Arkansas border!:becky:

In DFW it's difficult to find casings for me unless I go to a butcher or processor I use. Beyond that I can order, or drive to Ft. Worth to go to Central Market and get them at the meat counter.

Back