Cleaning old grill grates

ComputerMike

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I rescued a Weber 18" and grill had 10+ years of baked on grime. Any tips for cleaning? I tried soaking, oven cleaner and SOS pads but even then there was a whole lot of scrubbibg and I'm still not done.

i've heard that using the self-cleaning option on your oven will make the job easier, (if you have it that is).
HTH

I have heard of people using oven cleaner then placing in a tied garbage bag for a few hours or overnight. Carefull of the fumes when you open bag.

It's easier to just order a new SS hinged one for $14.25. http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1116 It should last longer than the Nickel Plated that you can get at HD.

You propably never will get that grate shiny and new again.
Heres what i do with my old kettle and WSM grates :

I burn them clean over a very hot fire and brush everything off.
Then i just season them like any steel or cast iron grate.

Wont be shiny but is easy to clean.

DM

I have heard of people using oven cleaner then placing in a tied garbage bag for a few hours or overnight. Carefull of the fumes when you open bag.

It's easier to just order a new SS hinged one for $14.25. http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1116 It should last longer than the Nickel Plated that you can get at HD.

Bingo! That's how I do it. I've even gotten them down to the shiny chrome in some spots this way. Be careful when you spray into the bag too. Them fumes are killer!! (I speak from experience) Make sure bag is closed tight or the cleaner dries up and then doesn't work as well. Using a powerwasher afterward to rinse helps also.

You propably never will get that grate shiny and new again.
Heres what i do with my old kettle and WSM grates :

I burn them clean over a very hot fire and brush everything off.
Then i just season them like any steel or cast iron grate.

Wont be shiny but is easy to clean.

DM
Yep
or use a weed burner

I would wrap the grate in heavy foil over charcoal and let all the crud burn right off.

self clean in the oven? don't know if 10 years of grime if it will work, but on a couple years, everything on the grates turn into ash, just scrub the rest off with a brush, clean as a whistle

Break down and buy a new stainless steel grate from Weber, they are only a few dollars (or Loonies) more than a plated replacement grate.

But if shipping to Canuckistan is cost prohibitive, any of the methods mentioned will work.

A lot of my old Kamado grates are oddball sizes, so I've cut the bottom of a 55 gallon poly barrel and use it as a soak tank, I'll burn off all the crud, use a wadded up ball of aluminum foil and wire brush to get the crusties, then in to soak. I've used Gunk Degreaser in the past, but Oxi-Clean powdered bleach and water work fantastic! 22.5" grates will fit in it, so I'm able to do all my grates at once. The stainless and plated grates are like new again, and the old rusty grates get coated with lard or oil and seasoned in a kettle or drum.

100_2962.jpg

http://store.weber.com/parts/charcoal/oa.aspx

The wealth of knowledge, ingenuity, and sharing of info on this site never ceases to amaze me. And this is no exception. You guys ROCK!!!

Paul

I'd second the weed burner. $25 for the weedburner to salvage a $10 grate and the weedburner is already starting to pay for itself. Those suckers just plain kick butt. The flame turns everything to carbon in just a few seconds...a couple sweeps with a simple wire brush and it will be as good as it can ever be.

Fire up one of those babies with a crowd around and you are an instant rock star...they just make people grin! Kelly

i've tried many ways to clean them. oven cleaner overnight and then wash. after they dry i hit them with a wire wheel on the drill. quickest for me. i got fustrated with the other options.

Back