How to get a new cooker from your wife without asking

Of course, this advice is brought to you by a twice divorced white male who has been single for the past 22+ years! :-D. At this point in my life a long term relationship is a 3 day weekend! Use this advice at your own peril.

Great disclaimer! ;-)

I guess I am lucky. Have to be careful what my wife of 28 years sees me looking at. She has bought me an XL BGE, a vertical Offset and the plans and material from smoker builder for a double pan gravity feed, a Blackstone griddle and pizza oven. All without me saying a word. This is in addition to my trailer mount smoker I built 30 years ago that she somehow made sure I got to build when I probably shouldn't have. Every holiday or anniversary something I looked at shows up. Think I will keep her.

My wife has never tried to block anything I wanted - and vice-versa. I hate "permission culture". I'm pretty sensible and thoughtful about acquisitions - so is she.

Of course the first wife was a different tale.

Thanks! And here's the thing: I guess I framed it like her purchase was just out of fear, and it was some kind up manipulative unspoken negotiation. That wasn't really it. She was very excited to get me something she knew I wanted. I wouldn't know what to do with a $3k smoker (yet). She couldn't wait to give the PBC to me!

Of course, maybe she just wanted me to shut up about how cool hanging meat would be, and she knew this would do the trick! (But now I get to talk about how cool it actually is now that I have it)

That strategy has some wisdom, Piney. What's the natural progression after Weber Performer Deluxe and PBC?

Patience. Polish the grovelling to a fine art - but time it wisely. Be sure to reinforce the point that the new cooker will benefit her as much as you...she will eat from that new magical flaming chalice.

Assure her that your Q magic will broaden in huge ways and she will be a benefactor of that broadening. She can explore Q in sensory ways that she never envisioned.

If that doesn't work, then take one for the team and watch a bunch of chick flicks with her...and be serious about it. :p

Last edited:
I start out with something more expensive than what I actually want. That way it seems like a good deal when I actually pull the trigger.

That's a great story and very cool. Put a smile on my face. Now get the PBC fired up and let's see some MEAT!

I'm planning on it. Just have to figure out how to post pics--that's what 16 hours of CE over the next 2 days is for. While the eggheads are droning on about highbrow crap I'll be on my iPad reading tutorials on posting pics.

Fortunately, I've taken a few pics in anticipation of this . . .

Soon you can work your way to having so much chit she won't even be able to notice a new cooker. It takes time, and a really cool wife, but it's definitely doable.

Yeah, that's all good and fine until you start adding to your brewing stuff...then, it's "is that for food or beer?"

I seriously don't see the problem....:-D

Ha! This is the only place I know of where a guy has to be careful his wife/girlfriend might catch him secretly looking at cookers on the internet. BTW Congratulations on the new PBC.

jy5887s32e50.jpg

Back