Porkus Interuptus

Tatanka

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a nice boneless pork tenderloin at Costco recently for $1.59/lb.; 7.5 lbs. We've got heavy weather coming Sat/Sun and my son's 34th birthday celebration is on Sunday at our home. I don't have a roofed area yet to Q in; time to think strategically.

Trimmed the tenderloin fat cap and silver skin, inserted whole/half garlic cloves in slit pockets in the meat and then it was time for slather/rub. I don't like my former pork rub and sauce and want to come up with a better one, so I tried boiling it down to its essence: The bitterness/sourness of the vinegar in mustard, the sweetness of brown sugar, and that extra thing that ground cumin does with pork. So, that was my slather/rub, brushed on after fully mixed. Smoked the two 10-12" pieces at 260-280F with 3 chunks of applewood and 1 of cherry. Pulled at 130F IT (internal temp for new folks) and wrapped tight in heavy aluminum foil to rest, then back in the fridge.

The meal is Sunday 2pm, so around 1pm I'll put them in a 350F oven to finish cooking up to 160-165F (maybe with a hit under the broiler to crisp the outside), rest and serve. I know that I've broken the rules by not having the process photographed thus far, but I WILL photo it from here on. If this works as well as I think it's going to, it will be worth spending a day in BBQ Brethren jail for my photo-slackness so far!:biggrin1:

Sounds like some good eats and a fun time. But if I were you, I would not take tenderloin beyond 150 F. At 160-165, it is likely to be dry. Personally, I usually don't take it past 140, but if you have people who don't like pink pork, 150 is a good compromise.

Agree that 145 is perfect temp to pull pork tenderloin and loin, will keep it tender and moist.

I appreciate your comments about the best IT to shoot for for maximum moistness and tenderness. I'll yank it from the oven at 150F IT and it'll probably rise to 152-154F while resting. I still remember what trichinosis was like 20 years ago, and I'll sacrifice a little moisture/tenderness to avoid experiencing it again!:pray:

I appreciate your comments about the best IT to shoot for for maximum moistness and tenderness. I'll yank it from the oven at 150F IT and it'll probably rise to 152-154F while resting. I still remember what trichinosis was like 20 years ago, and I'll sacrifice a little moisture/tenderness to avoid experiencing it again!:pray:

I always pull my tenderloin off at 152-153 and let it sit. Always comes out juicy. Put it in a foil “boat”, a square with all the sides folded up, and you’ll get a good bit of juice too.

Sounds like a plan...

Just a FYI Trichinosis has been killed at 145 (actually it is killed at a temp of 140 held for at least one minuet), meat pulled from the heat source with an IT of 145 will be safe as far as trichinosis is concerned. Meat pulled at IT of 145 the IT continue to rise from carryover heat.

Below is from:
Pork Facts - Food Quality and Safety
H. Ray Gamble
USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Parasite Biology and Epidemiology Laboratory
Beltsville, Maryland 20705

Cooking - Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52� C (125.6� F), in 6 minutes at 55� C (131� F), and in < 1 minute at60� C (140� F). It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat.

If you are gonna go to that high temp I.T.,make some gravy to pour over it or have some sauces ready.140-145 is as high as you need to go.

In his book, Meathead claims that trichinosis has been essentially eradicated in all developed countries, because commercially raised hogs don't forage outside. He also says that the parasite is killed at 138 F, and that the new USDA recommended temp for pork is 145 F.

You are correct it has been eliminated in commercial piggers but feral hogs can carry it. For you hunters bears also carry it.

Back