Stampede 590 owners...

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just got my RecTec Stampede 590 and started the burn in process. During this I put my Thermopro right in the center of the grill and "actual temp" on the unit read about 25-35 degrees hotter than my Thermopro...can it be calibrated or just live with it? Thanks

Well first Congrats and Enjoy
I always calibrate my Thermometers by dipping the metal part in boiling water and then set it correctly Also put some biscuits in it and cook they That will help to tell you where the hot spots are

Thanks...I know my Thermopop ison..I've tested it. Thought maybe I could manually adjust the temp probe somehow to avoid having the Thermopro inside

I'm at work right now so I can't test it but actually it makes sense. It probably is accurate. It sits up at about 8 in and my thermopro sits down at grate level. Hot air rises. I didn't completely lose everything from grade school

My advice on pellet grills is set the temp, and let it ride. No need, to worry about pit temps anymore. Just cook the meat until it is done.

Just got my RecTec Stampede 590 and started the burn in process. During this I put my Thermopro right in the center of the grill and "actual temp" on the unit read about 25-35 degrees hotter than my Thermopro...can it be calibrated or just live with it? Thanks

If you want to adjust/calibrate your Stampede to match up with your Thermopro, which is what it appears to be what you're asking, then the following video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTH7SQhMDos

But you have to know that if your Thermopro probe is resting on the grates, it might read different from the Rec Tec actual temp.

How far off of the grates your Thermopro rest, could play a role.

Also, while this following vid pertains to the WSM, it would seem to apply to most if not all cookers, pay particularly close attention to what he says at about 7:30 of the video when he sums it up with the "What have we learned?" portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYLGkM1YpE

In other words, your Thermopro, or other thermometers might never read exactly the same at any and all given times. Thus your Thermopro might not read exactly what your Rec Tec reads "at all times".

Thanks guys...I wonder why these manufactures like to put the tip of the thermocouple up at 6-7"...not grate level.

Back