Need some guidance for chopped brisket...

BearSmokeBBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
family wants me to smoke a couple brisket for xmas dinner. Have done many briskets that Ive cooked with the intention of slicing which I prefer, and I have got them down, but the overwheling majority of the fam prefers chopped, so my question is should I cook the same? I smoke them @ about 275 on the LSG offet until i get the color im looking for, then wrap in BP until tender. Was thinking since I will be chopping up and holding in crock pot to keep warm throughout the evening, that I might switch to foil to retain more drippings to mix in and help keep the meat from drying out too much while sitting in crock pot. Anyways, Merry Christmas fellow brethren, any tips or advice on chopped brisket would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like you have a good plan.. Could try one in BP and one in foil. Or even pan one of the briskets come wrapping time and that will get you plenty of juice if you need it. for pulled brisket i tend not to trim as aggressive and incorporate some of the good fat in to the pulled/chopped beef by really breaking it down in to a au jus of sorts with the hands.

Last edited:
If you like the way you cook briskets for sliced, I would cook it exactly the same way for chopped. Then you can slice it and anyone who wants sliced can have it and anyone who wants chopped, you can chop slices.

I totally agree with mixing point and flat. At a good Central Texas barbecue joint, if you order chopped, they'll ask you whether you want it lean, fatty, or mixed. Then they chop flat, point, or mixed accordingly. So if you really want to fancy it up for Christmas, you can slice the flat and point separately and chop it based on what each person wants. It would be more work, of course.

Back