View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #13
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_confirmed
Just these past few weeks, my OKJ is STRUGGLING badly to get up to temp and I haven't made any major changes to my setup. I've had it for a few years by the way. I run well seasoned cherry for the majority of the cook, I haven't modded, I have tried Franklin's firebox setup, small fires, big fires, using charcoal to boost the fire, and have also used various combinations of grate/charcoal bin configurations. I can barely crack 200F at best. At worst, I'm 175F.
If I am understanding correctly:
  • You have verified your thermometer is correct.
  • You have been able to achieve higher temps in the past.
  • You have confirmed that your intakes and exhaust are clear.
  • You haven't made any other changes.
Correct?

Then I am going to assume that something is wrong with your wood. I'd try a burn with just lump charcoal. The only other thing I can think of is if your pit is positioned in a way that there is a breeze dampening your airflow.

During one cook on my Klose, I couldn't keep temps below 325°. After a while I realized that there was a slight breeze coming up the driveway that was hitting my intakes and stoking the fire. I turned the pit 90° and was abler to control the pit as usual.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->