If you have problems locating the skewers try these guys. For the money they make great skewers. You may have to bend the ends into a hook shape like I did but it's not a big deal.

http://www.kabobmaster.com/product-category/skewers/

Based on your posts I decided to check out some local mediterean/middle eastern store and I found some long skewers for $1 each. Decided to marindade some chicken and test them out on the kamado joe. They worked perfectly and as they are so cheap I have no problem bending them for use in my PBC (which arrives tomorrow)

sBrRPzb.jpg

qNxJBKO.jpg

Pretty much the same setup I have. Throw in a rotisserie for the kettle and you'll have a ton of flexibility (I do my tri tips on the roti).

And I generally only crack it for about 5 minutes. That's all it takes to make a significant increase in temp. Making sure the intake is clear is important. Some charcoal is crap, or moist or whatever. I assume you're storing your fuel somewhere out of the weather.
In take was clear but it was windy on 2 out of 3 cook.
The last run was Royal Oak charcoal that was newly opened and stored inside garage a few days prior to cook time.

Last thing I'd wonder about is your thermometer. Do you trust it?
I just bought Theromoworks Smoke when I got the PBC about a month ago. I don't have a mean to verify it's working correctly but I was told it's pretty reliable.

I use a small square of folded aluminum foil to raise the lid up slightly in 1 spot- it gives it a bit more exhaust to help get the chicken up to boogie temp. If it's not enough, fold it again - it won't take much.

This is a great idea. I'll try this next time.

I have a theory on why my PBC not running hot. I read from the early part of this thread that people experienced uneven burn and suggest to put charcoal on the far end from the intake to created a more even burn.
The first cook I spread lit charcoal around but that was a rainy day. I noticed uneven burn pattern. So, I followed "old advance" and took charcoal from one side for chimney starter then dump lit charcoal back to the "hole" just created rather than spread out like PBC video.
Maybe that cause fire not spreading out to unburned charcoal as quick as needed to keep temperature up.
I'll try the spread out method next time and report back.
btw. I tried to read the whole thread but it's just too much. I spent 3 nights reading it and finally gave up.

Last edited:
I have a theory on why my PBC not running hot. I read from the early part of this thread that people experienced uneven burn and suggest to put charcoal on the far end from the intake to created a more even burn.
The first cook I spread lit charcoal around but that was a rainy day. I noticed uneven burn pattern. So, I followed "old advance" and took charcoal from one side for chimney starter then dump lit charcoal back to the "hole" just created rather than spread out like PBC video.
Maybe that cause fire not spreading out to unburned charcoal as quick as needed to keep temperature up.
I'll try the spread out method next time and report back.
btw. I tried to read the whole thread but it's just too much. I spent 3 nights reading it and finally gave up.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this. Sounds like a good plan.
Yeah, reading the whole thread is a feat--you could learn Swahili in the time it takes.

I just bought Theromoworks Smoke when I got the PBC about a month ago. I don't have a mean to verify it's working correctly but I was told it's pretty reliable.

You do have a way to verify it...just boil some water. You should get 212F or pretty darn close. You can also use a glass of ice water to test the lower end at 32F.

Also if the meat is too close to the probe in the PBC you could see some false low temps. If you have 2 probes put them both in and see if they read the same.

Yep, that's my set-up: The Onlyfire roti from Amazon with an 18" Weber Jumbo Joe lid.

attachment.php

Love it! I posted Sunday's cook in a Q-talk thread on Rotisserie Baskets, as I just got a "Fill It and Grill It" big-ol' tumble basket. Did 14 wings, a package of brats, and a 4-lb pork loin with room to spare.

attachment.php

Only thing is that the metal ring has about a 1/4" gap where it meets the PBC, so temps run high. Not a problem when doing wings and stuff (as a matter of fact, I've been putting my charcoal basket on a 5-gal SS pot to raise it a foot when doing hot&fast cooks), but I want to see if I could spin a low&slow at normal PBC temps. Really want to try a 5-hour pork butt cook with it.

I'm going to order some gasket tape and play around with sealing the ring better so I can hopefully do temp control with the weber lid vents.

Both the Cajun Bandit and the OnlyFire are 18.5"-ers designed to fit the Weber Jumbo Joe, so either should fit the PBC.

I just couldn't get past the black OnlyFire being $110 cheaper :shocked:

Back