Second time doing pork butts. Hope this turns out as well as last time!

TheFury

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Currently 3 hours in to this cook.

Two ~5 lb butts with killer hogs AP and BBQ rubs with some extra black pepper.

Been "mopping" with a mix of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, BBQ rub and chili flakes, and will pour a bit more of that mix in to the foil when I wrap these things.

Weber summit charcoal, KBB with some wood from my friend's felled apple tree. 240 degrees give or take.

Got some jerk chicken legs going on for the last two hours or so of the cook, followed by some ears of corn in the husk.

As a side note, don't let anybody tell you that a 24" grill is too big! Man I love this thing.

e8d670e52b1142d9bebeb7ea41c0aa8d.jpg

Lookin good so far! How do you like Malcom’s spg rub? Is it significantly better than something you could make at home?

Lookin good so far! How do you like Malcom’s spg rub? Is it significantly better than something you could make at home?

Thanks!

I'd say this "AP" rub, which is really just SPG as you said, is just fine. If I mixed some myself I'd definitely add more pepper than this mix contains. This one has MSG in it as well. Say what you will about it but I think MSG is delicious.

Next time around, though, I think I'm just going to mix my own SPG.

Update from earlier: drumsticks out the wazoo and a few ears of corn too many
60cc4bfa872e59c069415fb3dd716325.jpg

Thanks for the compliments all!

The pork tasted fantastic, was juicy and tender, but it could have been even more tender. I knowingly pulled it a bit early in the interest of time (probed between 192-196 in various spots). It was probe tender but not quite like warm butter except in a few places. When I went to shred it, it did come off the bone easily but the bone didn't slide out with no effort like in the BBQ pr0n you see on YouTube.

Is the early pull to blame here or are there other common reasons that the pork doesn't come out absurdly flaky?

Back