• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Shrimp Help

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Need your help and/or suggestions in coming up with an awesome basting liquid to mop onto shrimp during the smoking process. We're doing a dry run on some shrimp next week to decide if were wanting to sell shrimp on a stick at contests :-D Thanks for your help!

I have not done shrimp on the cooker yet but I would guess a butter type marinade with some kinda jerk or cajun seasoning. I do know they don't take too long to cook.

I have done variants of a Margarita mop rub, and have had great results. I cook them relatively hot, and quick. Here is one I like alot, but I am in a hotel for work and dont have measurements, and I might not have the best recolection right now. ;)

Tequila (not much, maybe 1 shot)
Lime juice
Cumin (powder)
Cayenne (to taste, for heat)
Sweet&Sour (I have used Cointreau)
Oregano (more for visual appeal on the shrimp)
Base (beer, water, apple juice)

I have not done shrimp on the cooker yet but I would guess a butter type marinade with some kinda jerk or cajun seasoning. I do know they don't take too long to cook.

Yup...butter and Tony Chacherie's works great. Done this and tossed it with some linguini...awesome....will be great without pasta, just grilled.

It's been awhile since I did shrimp on skewers in the smoker, but I used some Trader Joes basting sauces on them that were pretty good, Roasted Chipotle, and a Lemon Dill sauce. The Tony Chacere's sound good Too!

Ah, the 'Ol Shrimp game!!!
http://www.kickassbbq.com/smoked_shrimp.htm
shrimp2.JPG

For resale, I 'dcook them relatively plain and serve some different dipping sauses on the side. You've gotton some good suggestions. Here's one more:

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Asian Black Bean Sauce

Recipe By : Sun-Sentinel (4-11-96)
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Asian Beans
Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp fermented black beans -- rinsed and drained
1 tbsp garlic -- minced
1/2 c chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

Heat a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, the black
beans and garlic. Stir-fry about 12 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients
and stir-fry about 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
Makes about 3/4 cup sauce.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with poultry, fish or veggies.

NOTES : Black beans and rice wine and readily available in Asian markets and
some supermarkets.
You may substitute dry white vermouth for the rice wine.

Thanks for the help! I have some Tony Chacere's here at the house, I love that stuff! I'll give it a shot and post some pics when we do them.

Back