Absolutely Never Again

If you go to costco, with your receipt, and tell them the meat was bad they'll refund your money.
I had some chicken go green on me, literally green, and they gave me my money, no questions asked.

I buy my meat by appearance, not brand name-except for Smithfield. I see that, I keep walking.

I quit Costco ribs last year. I've had much better baby backs from Sams and great Angus brisket from RD.

My Costco's (On the west coast) sell Swift Premium. They have always been consistent and good. Thanks for the heads up about Smithfield. I have also had bad luck with Farmer Johns ribs.

I can tolerate 3% enhanced, but If I want ham, I buy ham, not enhanced pork

What are "IBP" ribs?

IBP is a brand name. Now owned by Tyson Meats. Originally called Iowa Beef Packers, then Iowa Beef Processors, the just IBP. Tyson still uses the brand name for their beef & pork products.

Smithfield is owned by the same company that owns Farmland.
Both quality pork in my opinion, never EVER had a problem with them.

Swift Premium WITHOUT any enhancements added to their pork spares are also very good (in my opinion)... I've done those quite a few times this season... very meaty, very tasty.

I know bb's used to be better. Regardless of producer. Now bb's seem to have zero fat, extremely lean and taste like pork chops. I still cook them, because at times I enjoy that taste.
But if I want ribs, that taste like ribs --it's pork spares or beef backs.

Agree. Stopped using costco ribs few months ago.

IBP is a brand name. Now owned by Tyson Meats. Originally called Iowa Beef Packers, then Iowa Beef Processors, the just IBP. Tyson still uses the brand name for their beef & pork products.

Tyson was the first and main one I heard was doing the China butchering deal. I will never buy anything from Tyson if at all possible.

My local Walmart sells Smithfield, the Butts are labeled as enhanced not exceeding 2% solution, the ribs however are labeled 8% enhanced. The 2% butts are great, have not tried the ribs and most likely wont unless they get Natural "not" enhanced.

Per Smithfield's web site they have multiple product lines for pork. One is called fresh and natural and appears to be natural or at least very low sodium added and another called extra tender shows a lot of sodium relative to the fresh and natural. Generally anytime you see tender in the description of a pork product it is enhanced. Like Kroger's labeling for pork of moist and tender.

The ribs I last bought at Costco were Swift They were pretty good.

My regular grocery store sells Hormel. This may just be local. They have a plant in a small town about half an hour West of here. They have always been terrific. They are also about the same price as Costco.

I don't have a Sam's membership

Here In Phoenix We get Swift or ribs packaged by Costco .. I prefer the ones done by Costco over swift .. never heard of the brand you mentioned...I also By farmer John at Smart and final with no issues. :shock:

I feel ya Red I've had bad experiences with backs & the spares are cut to close to the bacon

Back