The Most Famous Pitmaster You've Probably Never Heard Of

Thanks for posting - I love reading stuff like that.

Well, it's finished and not too bad for being so simple. Its a different, but I could see it being used in a South Texas BBQ joint on brisket smoked with Post Oak. I'll let it bloom over night and do a second taste test. I used a little over half of the black pepper called out and about 2/3 the salt (Kosher).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I used yellow onions. They never say what kind and there is a difference in yellow and white. The yellow is milder and a little sweeter. And, it made exactly two quarts..

Figure out that the boil and simmer are with the lid off. You start with about 4 quarts and end up with 2 quarts.

It gets better with age Pit I make it full strength. Sure goes good on warmed up the next day brisket flat samich with pickles & onion

That sauce recipe looks like exactly what I remember having growing up, simple and not overpowering to the beef but compliments the salt, pepper and smoke perfectly.:wink:
Great article!:thumb:

It gets better with age Pit I make it full strength. Sure goes good on warmed up the next day brisket flat samich with pickles & onion

That's what I was hoping. I made it exactly like the recipe, but added 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper for fun. My own sauce is better the next day too.. :wink:

I'm supriised this thread died. Did anyone else make the sauce? The batch I made was better the next day. It mellowed and sweetened up some. This recipe is going on my list of sauces for sure..:clap2:

I did, but I did not get a GOOD BOIL, my pressure cooker bottom was warped on a glass top stove.

Did not thicken up like I expected.

I now have a proper stock pot and will try again.

I did, but I did not get a GOOD BOIL, my pressure cooker bottom was warped on a glass top stove.

Did not thicken up like I expected.

I now have a proper stock pot and will try again.

You do have to get a pretty good boil going, but like I said not a raging boil or it will crawl out of the pot. I had mine boiling just hot enough to keep it from foaming up, but it was still a pretty vigorous boil. And no lid on the pot. You have to turn 4 quarts into 2,,:wink:

It is a fairly thin sauce.

OK, this is my best boil with a outside burner!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2Q2eEieFA&feature=youtu.be"]MVI 0657 - YouTube[/ame]

It's bottled now, with just a little extra! Good flat bottom pot made a huge difference!

Sammy, you need to get rid of that lectric stove. I had one for years and cursed it daily. It finally died of natural causes, and I replaced it with a gas stove, and really love it. You can control the heat much better, and the oven is even better. Love my gas range. It helped that there was already gas available behind the stove, so all I had to do was hook it up and start cooking.

Blessings,

Omar

Sammy, you need to get rid of that lectric stove. I had one for years and cursed it daily. It finally died of natural causes, and I replaced it with a gas stove, and really love it. You can control the heat much better, and the oven is even better. Love my gas range. It helped that there was already gas available behind the stove, so all I had to do was hook it up and start cooking.

Blessings,

Omar

Your right on the stove. I'd put one in myself, but there's no natural gas in my neighborhood. I hate all electric homes and its an electric company conspiricy i tell ya.. The next house is going to have one!:wink:

Back