• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seasoning a Drum (Hunsaker)

Smokey-T

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some validation and/ or guidance. I am heading home from a business trip and I have a Hunsaker Vortex Smoker waiting for me that was just delivered. I want to season it today. What I have read leads me to believe this is as follows:

Spray all insides, grates, baskets, etc with Pam. Light up charcoal basket and let run around 300F. Toss on a fatty as a sacraficial piece of meat and enjoy post seasoning.

Correct, anything more or different?

Thanks!

Ted

Looking for some validation and/ or guidance. I am heading home from a business trip and I have a Hunsaker Vortex Smoker waiting for me that was just delivered. I want to season it today. What I have read leads me to believe this is as follows:

Spray all insides, grates, baskets, etc with Pam. Light up charcoal basket and let run around 300F. Toss on a fatty as a sacraficial piece of meat and enjoy post seasoning.

Correct, anything more or different?

Thanks!

Ted

That is exactly what I did. Well, I did eat the fatty :becky:

Ted I don't remember spraying the basket but maybe I did, go light on spray oil, a little goes a long way and make sure you have a pan underneath it if you are cooking on a surface you don't want oil/grease dripping on. If I remember correctly I let mine run for 3hrs at 300 and then threw on a fatty.

What Ron and Kevin said. :thumb: And yes, light on the spray oil. :-D I actually didn't spray fire basket and there's no need IMO.

Congrats on the Hunsaker! I love it more and more with each use.

Thanks for the input guys. So after the three hour burn, does it really matter what is put in to smoke? Couldn't I just do three hanging chickens as I planned for my first cook, or do i want something really fat laiden like a fatty to be in there?

I never seasoned either of my drums. After your first long cook they are fully seasoned

Thanks for the input guys. So after the three hour burn, does it really matter what is put in to smoke? Couldn't I just do three hanging chickens as I planned for my first cook, or do i want something really fat laiden like a fatty to be in there?

You can put anything really. The fatty is just there if you're just burning charcoal to see how it flows. No need to delay your maiden voyage!

Since this thread is attracting Hunsaker owners, can anyone post a well lit picture of the lid hinge when it is opened and closed? Bought it from their website and it came with no instructions.

Anything. I cooked a rack of baby backs after seasoning.

Since this thread is attracting Hunsaker owners, can anyone post a well lit picture of the lid hinge when it is opened and closed? Bought it from their website and it came with no instructions.

Does this help?

dNN94nSl.jpg

Wv32CsFl.jpg

Thanks Korndawg. That really helps. I couldn't tell how things were to be placed from the website. I also see mine is also not powder coated like the website says as well.

I also have a short bar of steel that hangs from the inside of the exhaust. Any ideas what that is for?

Thanks Korndawg. That really helps. I couldn't tell how things were to be placed from the website. I also see mine is also not powder coated like the website says as well.

I also have a short bar of steel that hangs from the inside of the exhaust. Any ideas what that is for?

If it’s what I’m thinking it’s to hold the lid up if you want to make sure it doesn’t close on you unexpectedly. It swivels down onto the drum. I sometimes use it and sometimes not :icon_shy

Back