Brisket cooking too fast?

Seven

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
OK guys, im doing my first 14 lb packer on my recently inherited BGE, ive done quite a few flats that always turn out awesome, but im new to smoking whole brisket. My temp has been around 24o steady since about 6 this morning. My problem is that its only been on for almost 3 hours and my probe is reading 170.. That doesn't seem right since its only been on for that short of a period. Am I doing something wrong, and do I need to be worried? Suggestions? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Sit back and relax. You will be hitting the stall soon.

And there is no such thing as cooking brisket too fast!

You should have nothing to worry about. The real test for testing if a brisket is done is the probe test. It's a little difficult to explain, but if your thermometer probe goes in like soft butter, its done.

If you are cooking at 240 degrees F., you still have a fair amount of cooking time ahead. I usually cook my brisket at 275 to 300 F. I just did two for my daughters wedding and they were on for approximately six hours. I wrapped them in aluminum foil and held them for about five hours in a cooler. When I sliced them, they were plenty warm and delicious.

Good luck with your brisket!

JM2C pull that probe out take the control head through it on the ground & stomp on it, Good!!! Now that we have this out of the way go get a cold one and catch up on your reading. At 240 a 14 lb brisket will be on the pit at least 15 hrs. This is why I don't like thermos it was reading in the fat between the point & flat.

JM2C pull that probe out take the control head through it on the ground & stomp on it, Good!!! Now that we have this out of the way go get a cold one and catch up on your reading. At 240 a 14 lb brisket will be on the pit at least 15 hrs. This is why I don't like thermos it was reading in the fat between the point & flat.

So much technology hate from you Blu!!!! Embrace the tech, but know your basics is my motto.

Thanks guys. I feel better now. Haha blu, I may pull it out, but I don't know if I can smash it to pieces or not.

Make sure to move the probe and see if you are hitting a hot spot when you do pull it. No stomping. Proper doneness may not be determined by temp, but it does help gauge the cook.

I think others are right about not sweating the time. If you insist on using the digital, at least pull it out and go do a water bold test 210 to 212 is what to aim for but if it is only 2 or 3 degree off one way or the other, just remember that and adjust for it. You may have to wait until this cook is done, then do the same for all your pit gauges. If you think your pit temp may be off now, once you to the boil test on your food probe poke it throw a potato so the end sticks out and does not touch anything it will work as an oven gauge as it dose for food.
Dave

I cook mine at 275 to 300 for 4 to 5 hours and they come out great. No one way to cook a brisket. Yours will be fine. :thumb:

As was said, you haven't hit the stall yet.............................

But I'm sure it will turn out real good for you.

Back