• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
The long stem round dial temp gauge works well. I use the one I got with my turkey fryer. As Barbarian points out, it tells you what the temp is down in the middle of the drum. I find that I'm consistantly showing about 40-50F higher temp down in the drum than what my gauge shows on the lid. Between the two of them, I get a really good idea of what's going on, and adjust accordingly.

-=- Jerry -=-
www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com

jerry where did you get that spring been thinking of this damper style but don't know how much of a spring I need.

UDS III Design Thoughts

Been thinkin' about an air intake based on the Big Green Egg for my next build. I've got some .032 stainless sheet metal at the shop that I can use. I'm thinking a 1 1/2 inch wide by 3 inch long opening should be enough air. Kinda like this without the screen.

Only pic I have at the time...

IMG_5950.jpg

Thoughts?

Norco...Unibit...good! Unibit rules...just gets a little hot.
fordman, understanding you were asking jerrykr about springs...not that scientific. Just something short enough to fit on the bolt you're using and strong enough to hold the vent caps. I found mine at local hardware store no problem. HD will have them. Only done one cook so far but like the dampers...I know No Pron! Wasn't worth posting.
Ribs this weekend and will post pron. More practice with temps.

Norco........you suck......that is untill you build me another uds. Did my cash bounce or something? Ain't we friends?
Dude, I got sc tickets for you(although I know you hate em) to any game you want.

WhaddoooIIIgotta do? Admit I'm worthless at building chit or something? No problem!

"JD's" Sliding UDS Vent...

Here 'tis farkers...my "non-patented", feel free to copy at will, "Sliding UDS Vent"...:razz:

Started with this...

IMG_6014.jpg

Layed out the tab lines and cut on the band saw...

IMG_6019.jpg

Bent up tabs...

IMG_6020.jpg

Inserted slide and bent over tabs...

IMG_6021.jpg

Fit test...cinched (squeezed tabs a little more) on the slide...

IMG_6025.jpg

Drum fit up...

IMG_6026.jpg

Looks like it'll work just fine...:razz:

IMG_6027.jpg

Next up...pop-riveting and sealing to the drum...stay tuned folks! :biggrin:

Sorry to take so long answering the question about the springs. They came from a automotive kit to replace all of the pieces in drum brakes. I had a piece break in one of my rear brakes on my car and had to buy the full kit to get the piece that I needed. No problem, as the whole kit was only about $5. Anyway the springs were in the kit, and already painted yellow.

I found an assortment of springs at Home Depot, but I liked these better and took the Home Depot package back. BTW: they are located in the section where they have hinges and stuff for wooden fence gates. They were hard to find, only one clerk in the store knew where they were.

Very nice JD...I will be watching to see how the rest of this goes. I am looking to build a second drum (plus the guys at work all want them), and I like the way that looks.

Wind doesn't bother them. Cold has little effect on them. Rain can be a problem depending on the lid and/or shelter around the cooker.

Mine likes horzontal rain and hail !

Attachments

• Less Than Ideal.jpg
    Less Than Ideal.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,618
I unplugged it at the othe end ( I did not want to go out in that)
Failed to mention there was also tornado warrings.
Pulled the blower and left the 1 1/2" tube open.
Temp held at 205 durring storm.
No meat was harmed durring this production.

So, in theory we could add that UDS works well in tornado warning situations too. Guess, at some point we'll be able to test earthquakes out here. May have already been proven.

Heres a better picture

Attachments

• Less Than Ideal.jpg
    Less Than Ideal.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,634
**Greenlee Stepbits**

Norco...Unibit...good! Unibit rules...just gets a little hot.
fordman, understanding you were asking jerrykr about springs...not that scientific. Just something short enough to fit on the bolt you're using and strong enough to hold the vent caps. I found mine at local hardware store no problem. HD will have them. Only done one cook so far but like the dampers...I know No Pron! Wasn't worth posting.
Ribs this weekend and will post pron. More practice with temps.

Greenlee makes some step drill bits comparble to the Irwin Unibit. About the same price range, but another option especially if you plan to drill larger than 7/8". In the Electrical aisle near the conduits at HD and bLowes.

Back