View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't remember ever having a prime rib with a seasoning I didn't like, there were just some I liked a little better that others. And in addition to dry rubs.... if you include the various slathers (a wet seasoned paste) this will expand your choices even more.

Salt and pepper are likely the most popular foundation to build upon, but they are fine on their own. Garlic and rosemary are popular additions, in fact various herbs can add a different signature based on your tastes. A very popular seasoning is a "Canadian" or "Montreal" style, which has a number of things going for it. They are available commercially, but here is a recipe to give you an idea. And of course any ingredient (or amount) can be altered to your tastes.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub based on the "pickling rub" used to make Montreal smoked meat, which was made famous by Schwartz's deli. It is also called Canadian rub. This rub is suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and roasted potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->