Hi all! I just introduced myself in the Cattle Call forum, but I just ordered a PBJ after having smoked on a Weber kettle with a SlowNSear for the past two years. I'm excited to join y'all, even though I've only read since page 500 in this thread.

Welocme!:-D

Hi all! I just introduced myself in the Cattle Call forum, but I just ordered a PBJ after having smoked on a Weber kettle with a SlowNSear for the past two years. I'm excited to join y'all, even though I've only read since page 500 in this thread.

Hey Benuski! Glad that you could join us!

Intervention

Bob, I saw you started a thread asking about Hunsaker vs. Gateway. :shock: You're one of the PBC demigods! Tell me it ain't true! You were just asking for a friend, I'm sure. We will not allow you to go--you're in this for life :mod:

That would be like Sako jumping ship! oh, wait.... :doh:
But he came right back with the PBJ! :thumb:

Finished with the PBCAT! What a great resource! Great info from some great people.
(wonder who the fella in red represents...)
x7ep3hRl.jpg

Bob, I saw you started a thread asking about Hunsaker vs. Gateway. :shock: You're one of the PBC demigods! Tell me it ain't true! You were just asking for a friend, I'm sure. We will not allow you to go--you're in this for life :mod:

That would be like Sako jumping ship! oh, wait.... :doh:
But he came right back with the PBJ! :thumb:

I have no plans to jump ship! If I had unlimited funds and space I wouldn't mind adding a Hunsaker or Gateway to the arsenal... or a Shirley for that matter. I was just interested in knowing the difference between the two drums. From what I had read it seemed like the Hunsaker has better temp control and the foot adjuster seems real cool. No way will I ever give up the PBC. Thanks for asking! :grin:

I have no plans to jump ship! If I had unlimited funds and space I wouldn't mind adding a Hunsaker or Gateway to the arsenal... or a Shirley for that matter. I was just interested in knowing the difference between the two drums. From what I had read it seemed like the Hunsaker has better temp control and the foot adjuster seems real cool. No way will I ever give up the PBC. Thanks for asking! :grin:

Gotcha. I see it now. You were just testing us to see if we had the mutual accountability thing going. Cool.

Thanks Lloyd!

Thanks Kanco! I've had some of my best off the PBC.

If I want end to end color (rare/med-rare/med) for thick cut steaks, tri tip and the like I always prefer to cook in the PBC/J or any drum smoker. I bring it up to temp slowly to my desired doneness, open the lid and let 'er roar. Sometimes it'll take a few mins for the temps to be raging hot so I'll remove the meat and once at the max heat level, I'll put it back on in order not to overshoot temps and ruin my meat after all that work. :-D

This was two years ago so I think carne crosta was still in development and from what I remember it was just S&P. Plus with carne crosta I prefer direct heat or very hot griddle to release the oils of the coffee granules in that rub for the ultimate potential of that rub. Raw coffee taste no good. :-D

:clap2: alright i literally almost fell out of my chair at work seeing this absolute masterpiece. that is unreal i'm soooo excited to try this now! if i use trader joe's or royal oak briquettes think i can get them hot enough? or does it have to be lump?

(until i saw this picture i was planning to hang and reverse sear a ribeye slowly and then sear it on a cast iron skillet basting it with butter...but maybe I just go this route!)

I'm with Bob on this, if I had the budget, I'd probably look into the Hunsaker Drum. I'd probably also do what Sako did. Sell the PBC and get a PBJ in that scenario. I've actually debated getting the PBJ anyway because I'm usually not cooking large amounts of food and the PBJ would be enough 90% of the time. But it's that other 10% that keeps me from buying. I could have both (PBC and PBJ) but I don't think that's necessary. The bottom line is l will always have a Pit Barrel Cooker!

Last edited:
:clap2: alright i literally almost fell out of my chair at work seeing this absolute masterpiece. that is unreal i'm soooo excited to try this now! if i use trader joe's or royal oak briquettes think i can get them hot enough? or does it have to be lump?

(until i saw this picture i was planning to hang and reverse sear a ribeye slowly and then sear it on a cast iron skillet basting it with butter...but maybe I just go this route!)

:thumb:

Briquettes will work fine. Just make sure the basket is loaded, fully lit and hot. There are definitely options and depending on the rub I'll either finish in the PBC/J or sear on a griddle, like in the case of the carne crosta rub from Oakrdige due to the coffee in it. It's all in what you're looking for and how you want to execute it I suppose.

This is an old pic that I've posted a few times with a tri tip and a tomahawk and the crust/bark was nothing short of magical.

20131014_171023.jpg

20131014_175414.jpg

Also, things are beginning to settle down for me a little so I'm hoping to be more involved here again. Plus it's gonna start warming up soon so hopefully that'll lead to more PBC cooks soon!

Def good to see you posting more frequently Andrew. :clap2:

To add, I think the Hunsaker and the PBJ are a heavenly combination. Just to throw it out there, I sold a couple cookers that weren't getting used much anymore and that offset the cost of a Hunsaker significantly. Only cost me a little more than an accessorized PBC. Something to think about if you've got cookers not getting used like they were at one time.

Back