Wyoming's Finest

rs7y5mdh.jpg

Sako, looks super. How was the burger? Was the sear/color pretty good? Would it have been better on a kettle (or other high-heat cooker)? Awesome creativity and cook either way.

No fake news there Sako! The cook and brew are for real. Fantastic!

Thanks Bob!

Very nice brother!

Thanks brother!

Sako, looks super. How was the burger? Was the sear/color pretty good? Would it have been better on a kettle (or other high-heat cooker)? Awesome creativity and cook either way.

Thanks Kanco!

The burger was awesome. A whole 10oz of awesome that is. :grin:I could've got more char on it if I left the lid off as I was burning mesquite. I put the lid on most of the time since temps got insanely hot so I didn't want to burn the bacon plus the patties were 1/2 beef and 1/2 Italian sausage so I wanted to cook it thoroughly (150 IT) due to the pork.

Plenty juicy I tell you and pics don't do it justice

bXFRI2kh.jpg

Last edited:
St. Louis Sunday

I haven't had much success with ribs on the PBC, but I wanted to give it another shot. Went with RO lump this time, and ooched it over to one side of the basket. Hung the ribs on the empty side and tossed in a chunk of pecan. They cooked a little fast, I thought, so I wrapped after only 2 hours. I thought the coals were playing out after another hour, so into the oven they went. After another hour, I fired up another chimney of RO to set the sauce. I was pretty pleased with the results, but all that jockeying around was kind of a pain!

Last edited:
Thanks Bob!

Thanks brother!

Thanks Kanco!

The burger was awesome. A whole 10oz of awesome that is. :grin:I could've got more char on it if I left the lid off as I was burning mesquite. I put the lid on most of the time since temps got insanely hot so I didn't want to burn the bacon plus the patties were 1/2 beef and 1/2 Italian sausage so I wanted to cook it thoroughly (150 IT) due to the pork.

Plenty juicy I tell you and pics don't do it justice

bXFRI2kh.jpg

Thanks for this! I haven't cooked burger on the pbc yet as I wasn't convinced I'd get a decent char on it...sounds like if they lid is off long enough that's not an issue?

Thanks for this! I haven't cooked burger on the pbc yet as I wasn't convinced I'd get a decent char on it...sounds like if they lid is off long enough that's not an issue?

:thumb:

Absolutely! You'll get great char with the lid off. If you want nuclear temps I'd suggest lump charcoal as it burns at higher temps than briquettes.

Here's a contest I entered a couple of years ago and a steak I cooked on the PBC. Bring it up to temp with the lid closed then open the lid and let her rip for a nice curst. Fancy pics because the contest was "Your best grill shot"

bRuw4bUh.jpg

7M1FwDKh.jpg

Wait just a damn minute, Sako. That steak is freakin beautiful--using the PBC? Not possible! The color is gorgeous and the interior is a beautiful med rare from the looks of it. Didn't think the PBC could pull that color. I'm going to try that with some lump.
Q: What was the rub? Did you go with Carne Crosta to get that?

Damn, Sako, that steak is a masterpiece!

Thanks Lloyd!

Wait just a damn minute, Sako. That steak is freakin beautiful--using the PBC? Not possible! The color is gorgeous and the interior is a beautiful med rare from the looks of it. Didn't think the PBC could pull that color. I'm going to try that with some lump.
Q: What was the rub? Did you go with Carne Crosta to get that?

Thanks Kanco! I've had some of my best off the PBC.

If I want end to end color (rare/med-rare/med) for thick cut steaks, tri tip and the like I always prefer to cook in the PBC/J or any drum smoker. I bring it up to temp slowly to my desired doneness, open the lid and let 'er roar. Sometimes it'll take a few mins for the temps to be raging hot so I'll remove the meat and once at the max heat level, I'll put it back on in order not to overshoot temps and ruin my meat after all that work. :-D

This was two years ago so I think carne crosta was still in development and from what I remember it was just S&P. Plus with carne crosta I prefer direct heat or very hot griddle to release the oils of the coffee granules in that rub for the ultimate potential of that rub. Raw coffee taste no good. :-D

Copy that. I'm going to try to get that kind of color on a PBC steak. Thanks for the insight.

You def will. You're kicking arse already by not skimping on charcoal so no reason you won't achieve a color like that. Those pics were taken with a DSLR so that's why the image is vivid. That's pretty much how they look each time and even the best smartphones can't match the quality of a real camera. Naturally.

Hi all! I just introduced myself in the Cattle Call forum, but I just ordered a PBJ after having smoked on a Weber kettle with a SlowNSear for the past two years. I'm excited to join y'all, even though I've only read since page 500 in this thread.

The only reason I would spring for a nice camera is to take pictures of BBQ. No joke.

Probably the biggest reason why I haven't even started looking at them haha.

Hi all! I just introduced myself in the Cattle Call forum, but I just ordered a PBJ after having smoked on a Weber kettle with a SlowNSear for the past two years. I'm excited to join y'all, even though I've only read since page 500 in this thread.

Welcome benuski! Glad you found this thread. You'll get just about all the info you need to know about cooking with a PBC or J reading this thread or asking questions. It's good to see another PBJ owner here now. We've only got a couple that I know of.
I know I speak for everyone here when I say we can't wait to see what you do with your new cooker! :thumb:

Back