View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I've judged a KCBS competition 3 or 4 times that had pro and backyard divisions, but the same group of judges judged both. We were not told until the boxes hit the table that we were judging backyard teams, and probably would not have made any difference EXCEPT the organizers had intentionally changed the category names for the backyard division, and loosened the rules about garnish and contents in the box. The backyard categories were Chicken, Pork, Beef, and Other. This allowed the backyard cooks to cook everything in a couple of hours if they chose their meats wisely.

Chicken was usually pieces, but we might get skewers. The sauces for chicken entries got pretty creative, everything from Buffalo Hot Wing sauce to Oriental sweet and sour sauce. Pork turn-ins might be shoulder, but ribs, tenderloin, or even sausage were more common. Beef was often cubes of tenderloin or ribeye but I recall getting meatballs, meatloaf, and even sliders. Other was either veggies, fruits, seafood or dessert.
interesting....

yea ours are done/turned in at same time as PRO / we turn in same times turn in all same categories with same rules and judging criteria.

Even more of reason as to why "separate it" not sure what you gain by saying hours ahead of time you will be judging pro and you backyard. It all gets turned in same exact time frames in same boxes with same rules sooooo why dose it need be that way i see nothing but negatives for this.

ill be bringing this up in future meetings with the board. Thanks for feed back guys !
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote