Bagels??? **Split form filet mignon **

brdbbq

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Never grilled Bagels but would like to know how to make them, Bagels down here Blow compared to NY.

Seth, never thought of that...I will give her a shot and let you know. I do agree with the crusting......Bob

grillnputt said:
I'm making bagels from scratch Sun morning. But that's another thread. (not grilling those! But if you ever have, let me know!) :)

Man there is nothing like a fresh bagel when it comes right out of the oven. I luv the garlic bagel or the egg everything bagel. Your the first person I ever heard making his own bagels here on Long Island. I just stand in line at the bagel store in Merrick usually and get me a few. In fact the motto for Long Island could be "We do bagels right"

Side note... When I was up at highland this summer for the cookoff, there was a free breakfast for the teams. It was bagels and coffee. I watched a team from somewhere down south stare at the bagels. The looks on their face was pretty much "What we supposed to do with them things". It was priceless.

brdbbq said:
Never grilled Bagels but would like to know how to make them, Bagels down here Blow compared to NY.

Yeah.

Do you grill them flat side up or flat side down?

:shock:

grillnputt said:
I'm making bagels from scratch Sun morning. But that's another thread. (not grilling those! But if you ever have, let me know!) :)

Do you boil your bagels before you bake them?

BrooklynQ said:
Do you boil your bagels before you bake them?

par boiling bagels.....oh the humanity. Whats next....boiling ribs?????

Sorry Smoker - in the case of bagels, it's an essential step.

Boiling is one of the key steps in getting an authentic New York bagel. It's what makes them crusty on the outside. Lesser bagels are steamed while baked, which while more cost effective, makes an inferior bagel. Of equal importance to the boiling step, is the source of the yeast, and to some extent the water.

RichardF said:
Boiling is one of the key steps in getting an authentic New York bagel. It's what makes them crusty on the outside. Lesser bagels are steamed while baked, which while more cost effective, makes an inferior bagel. Of equal importance to the boiling step, is the source of the yeast, and to some extent the water.

I've heard a similar discussion a few years ago about Bagels and it was speculated that the water did have a very important part to play in the flavor of a Bagel. It was speculated that the pollution in Jersey was the key to a good Bagel.
But what do I know, I'm from Florida.

JTMcD

In college, back when HBO first came out, we'd watch all the little specials.

One was called "Bagels, bagels, bagels". It showed how bagels were made in New York. And yes, they were boiled before baking.

And then there was this exercise special.....one female...exercising rather (or so we thought) seductively to music. I forget the name of that one.....

JohnMcD348 said:
I've heard a similar discussion a few years ago about Bagels and it was speculated that the water did have a very important part to play in the flavor of a Bagel. It was speculated that the pollution in Jersey was the key to a good Bagel.
But what do I know, I'm from Florida.

JTMcD
Historically, NYC had some of the best water in the country for both taste and quality. Unfortunately, with the rapid growth in the Catskills, and no go watershed protection plan, the water quality is sure to degrade.

I know of some very good bagel shops in Northern New Jersey too.

We have some really good bagel shops up here in Vermont. The shop owners come down from Montreal. There is a lot of ethnic food from across the border.

Yes the boiling proccess is esential to a great bagel. The trick is how it was 'crusted'? Baked? Twice baked? I think some even deep fry? Some bagel shops now melt and brown different cheese`s on the tops and let them bake into the dough. Yeah, they`re bind blowing.

Bagels is like pizza in the tri-state area. You live here long enough, nowhere else will is a consideration when it comes to these two tasty meals.

Funny thing. I`ve been making pizza for a long time. Sometimes I make my own dough, and sometimes I buy the dough from a pizzarrea. I`ve even made a breakfest pie before. Easy on the cheese and halway thru crack 8 eggs around the pie and sprinkle pre cooked bacon/sausage and finish cooking. Strange part is I can not find a bagel shop to sell me some bagel dough for the pizza. they all ask, what are you going to do with it? Then say no we can`t sell it to you.

I think that dough would make a good pizza regardless of whats on it.

I didn't think this thread would get any publicity! :) I do boil the bagels. I also am very lazy and usually get them from the bagel store. I don't get the dough from the bagel store as I do get pizza dough from the pizza place. I make my own dough for bagels. (The night before.) Believe it or not, the bagels are made from a recipe from Julia Childs. I'll check on the name of the book.

Qczar said:
Funny thing. I`ve been making pizza for a long time. Sometimes I make my own dough, and sometimes I buy the dough from a pizzarrea. I`ve even made a breakfest pie before. Easy on the cheese and halway thru crack 8 eggs around the pie and sprinkle pre cooked bacon/sausage and finish cooking. Strange part is I can not find a bagel shop to sell me some bagel dough for the pizza. they all ask, what are you going to do with it? Then say no we can`t sell it to you.

I think that dough would make a good pizza regardless of whats on it.

Mind sharing a pizza dough recipe? I've tried several and finally settled on a whole wheat version we really like, but I'm always looking for something new to try for variety. Weather permitting I'm thinking about tossing one in the smoker next week.

Good topic. I have been looking closely at starting a bagel shop in northern Georgia. Southern folks don't do bread/bagels/pastries at all. It really is a need down there. got a local bagel shop I would use as a model for mine. anyway the owners gave me a tour the other day. Four pieces of equipment needed... 1) a very large mixer 2) a large table to roll out the bagels; 3) a steam jacketed water vat. Bagels are boiled for a certain period of time. finally a large rotissiere oven with like 8 shelves. Bagels are brought from the water bath to a trough where they are rinsed off, placed on carpeted "I" beams and placed in oven for a few minutes to steam. when ready, they are dumped off the "I" beams and placed directly on the oven tables. Bake til golden. Serve warm with a bit of olive cream cheese,or my favorite...

Gyro Bagel. take one sesame bagel and toast crispy. while toasting, take three strips of Gyro meat and fry up. Also fry one egg.

Assemble sandwich. Small amount of cream cheese, meat, egg, touch of peeper, serve it up. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!!!

Yeah, this is the winter to learn the bagels. Several earlier attempts had the right bagel taste, but looked all farked up.

Scott

I just came from the bagel place. The baker was just dumping a batch of smoking hot onion bagels into the counter bin. Took 2 and had to actually wait a few minutes for them to cool down. Nirvana

Jorge said:
Mind sharing a pizza dough recipe? I've tried several and finally settled on a whole wheat version we really like, but I'm always looking for something new to try for variety. Weather permitting I'm thinking about tossing one in the smoker next week.

Jorge, ........... I used to use a bowl and need by hand. Since I got a jumbo sized Cuisinart, I now use it for the dough. The 'Dough' feature on it works like a charm and does a better job needing. I do mix some wheat flour in with the all porpose for extra flavor.

1 package of dry yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
1-1/4 cups of water (110º)
3-1/3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon of EV olive oil

This will make a large pie and then some. But then again I make`em thin crust. After thinking about it. I threw out the idea of spending $75+ on lobster/crab dinner and decided to make a New Years seafood pie tonight. Shrimp, bay scallops, fresh blue crab claw meat with a multi white cheese base and garlic, herbs and lemon zest. Fresh oysters on the half shell for appetizer.

Back