UDS question; to flip or not to flip

Blackened

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Cooking my first rack of spares on the UDS, think I'll need to flip halfway through or no?

I thought I read some say in the UDS thread that they felt they needed to flip..

The 4 lb butt, fatty, and 2.5 lb london broil I didn't need to..

I've got the drum thermo locked in at 210, which translates to 235 on my free-standing grill thermo..

My et-73 should arrive on Wednesday..

Thanks in advance..

Chris

I only cook trimmed spares and they are usually cooked on the UDS in a rack. No flipping...

I was just going to say, I trimmed them up St. Louis style if that matters..

Thanks Grail.

Chris, I usually flip to bone side up after 2 hours. Leave that way for about 45 - 60 minutes just to get a little more speckling (if that makes sence) and then back to bones down. It may not make much difference but makes me feel better.:biggrin:

Im a newbie to the site and just got done cooking some spares trimmed up. And i flipped them meat side down for about 45 mins or so then flipped again. Each time I sprayed a bit of apple juice on them. The week before I cooked some baby backs by hangine with stainless hooks and didnt need to turn or anything. Pretty much same result good ribs.

Im a newbie to the site and just got done cooking some spares trimmed up. And i flipped them meat side down for about 45 mins or so then flipped again. Each time I sprayed a bit of apple juice on them. The week before I cooked some baby backs by hangine with stainless hooks and didnt need to turn or anything. Pretty much same result good ribs.

No flipping OR spraying required when cooking on a UDS! :biggrin:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.. I just spritzed them w/ apple juice after an hour and 20 min's.. and they are cruising along.. I'll play it by ear in another hour.. Just wanted to find out what everyone else does on their UDS.. :wink:

If I'm right Chris you have a RD UDS and no flippin peakin or nuffin!! is required. That UDS should do a great job. Enjoy and don't forget the pron.

DO NOT flip your UDS! I tried it once at it was so messy, not to mention pretty dangerous. Hot coals all over the back patio and...

:wink:

Thanks for the info Brethren.. I ended up flipping at 2 1/2 hours.. Turned out great..

Next rack of spares I think I'll leave them untrimmed, set and rock and roll.. Just to compare..

Sorry, no pron.. They were devoured before you could say cheese.. :mrgreen:

The only reason I flip the ribs is that the bone side down on my drums can get that side pretty dark on the edges and others may be different.. Flipping seems to make a more uniform color/cook on both sides. I may leave bone side down all the way if the are lookin good. All kinds of right ways to do it. All smokers are different so practice and stick with what works best for you. Keep us posted bro.

I use the flip only when wife has something for me to do. Good excuse, plus gotta pass the fridge on the way out. Beer thirty!

Back