Meteorite Chicken 2.0

Thanks for a great tutorial :thumb:

One thing I forgot to mention. As it was getting nearer to the end of the cook and the color still wasn't getting there. I watched the video again and I noticed she used a water pan. So I grabbed a spray bottle filled with water and gave it some spritzes the last two hours. I think that may have been the key, it got MUCH blacker.

Wow and wow! Those colors remind me of my first turkey on the offset after only using a bullet smoker before. Went frow golden brown to black. All my wood came from apple tree limbs cut off my trees with bark.
Been probably 40 years ago but my family still reminds me occasionally at Thanksgiving about the black turkey. LoL

One thing I forgot to mention. As it was getting nearer to the end of the cook and the color still wasn't getting there. I watched the video again and I noticed she used a water pan. So I grabbed a spray bottle filled with water and gave it some spritzes the last two hours. I think that may have been the key, it got MUCH blacker.

Its going to be a sad day when her video goes the way of the dodo bird. Someone needs to download her video and archive it. And the comments. I literally tear up reading them, even to this day. There is soo many "it's gold Jerry, gold!" comments.

Been probably 40 years ago but my family still reminds me occasionally at Thanksgiving about the black turkey. LoL
That's like the first time I smoked a prime rib for Christmas. In the past I'd always pack it in wet salt and into a 450 oven. Did the same thing except put it in a 225 smoker. Took it out and the salt was still wet. Didn't think too much of it, sliced it up, put it on the table and told everyone to dig in while I'm grabbed a drink.

Sat down at the table and everyone had an odd expression. Grabbed a piece, took a bite... WTF is this? Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as they were trying to be nice. Saltiest piece of beef I've ever had.

Never did that again, but I still get harassed at Christmas dinner. 🤣

Well, all I can say is "Thanks for taking one for the team".

Just don't know why you'd want to though.:crazy:

Nice color if that was what you after!
Reminds me of the first cook on the UDS I built, 2 chickens and a slab of ribs. Didn't know the thermometer was reading 75-100 low. It all looked like that after 4 hours!

Not being one that likes wasting food. The sawdust breast meat went into a Mexican style chicken soup. Ended up being quite edible...

xQdUWM6h.jpg

Fun experiment and glad you were able to utilize the meat. I think if I attempt this I may just start with a silkie chicken!

9 spotted cow for a chicken cook is a pretty good number.

I can only spare 1 spotted cow per cook since I could only fit a 24 pack in my luggage heading home from Lake Geneva.

Back