MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

I haven't been using the griddle nearly as much as I used to. This is probably due in large part to remodeling the kitchen and putting in a real exhaust hood.

I'm just trying to simplify things and gain some room on the patio.

Totally get it! It is sooo nice to have a clean/decluttered patio. Curious about your pellet experience. How do you like the Traeger compared to the kettle and for what types of cooks do you tend to use the kettle vs Traeger for? As far as flavor profile, do you prefer pellets to charcoal or vice versa?

I bought the pellet last summer from a buddy of mine that upgraded to a larger model. I use it 3-4 times a month as opposed to my gas grill which I use a couple times a week. The big thing is that my wife is usually the one cooking on the pellet. She loves how easy it is to use. I have a Fireboard and she loves to set it and forget it. We've been married 20 years and she's never built a charcoal fire, but she sure digs the pellets.

I'm a huge steak and seafood fan. My last meal would either be a rib-eye, or a thick slab of tuna grilled over mesquite coals, and that's pretty much what I use my kettle for. I think I would probably use the Traeger for that but it just doesn't sear the way the kettle does.

I bought the pellet last summer from a buddy of mine that upgraded to a larger model. I use it 3-4 times a month as opposed to my gas grill which I use a couple times a week. The big thing is that my wife is usually the one cooking on the pellet. She loves how easy it is to use. I have a Fireboard and she loves to set it and forget it. We've been married 20 years and she's never built a charcoal fire, but she sure digs the pellets.

I'm a huge steak and seafood fan. My last meal would either be a rib-eye, or a thick slab of tuna grilled over mesquite coals, and that's pretty much what I use my kettle for. I think I would probably use the Traeger for that but it just doesn't sear the way the kettle does.

A simple solution if you just want a small charcoal fire on occasion would be to sell all, buy the MAK and buy a small Weber Go-Anywhere charcoal grill and store on a shelf in the garage when not in use. They are awesome lil grills :)

Sounds like a good idea on a small Weber, but it would definitely have to be a cash transaction. Can't have any record of me buying another grill. I could use it for a late night stealth cook in the garage.

But seriously, I think I can be done with a charcoal grill pretty easily. No black hands and no storing coals. From what I've read on here the MAK does a pretty good job at making a good amount of smoke. I've used the Bear Mtn mesquite pellets on the Traeger and it does a pretty good job of flavoring the meat, and I imagine it's a whole lot better on the MAK.

Sounds like a good idea on a small Weber, but it would definitely have to be a cash transaction. Can't have any record of me buying another grill. I could use it for a late night stealth cook in the garage.

But seriously, I think I can be done with a charcoal grill pretty easily. No black hands and no storing coals. From what I've read on here the MAK does a pretty good job at making a good amount of smoke. I've used the Bear Mtn mesquite pellets on the Traeger and it does a pretty good job of flavoring the meat, and I imagine it's a whole lot better on the MAK.

You can buy small Weber charcoal grills on CL or FB Marketplace for next to nothing. A nice item to have on hand even if only used once in a great while.

But I do agree, it’s nice not having charcoal hands and not having to store the stuff.

To each their own :)

So what's your preferred method of cooking something like a rib eye or a strip? Seems like you have a few of the best options.

So what's your preferred method of cooking something like a rib eye or a strip? Seems like you have a few of the best options.

Reverse sear on the MAK w/ a 60ish second/side sear on the Otto Wilde. If I didn’t have the Otto, I’d have a small Weber charcoal grill sitting on a small stainless table right next to it. Whether the Otto or small Weber, they both play very nice with the MAK. It’s not that the MAK can’t grill a steak, but I just love the reverse (or even forward) sear methods on certain cuts... thick steaks being one of them.

Sounds like the hot setup. The few times I've cooked a good steak on the Traeger was finishing in a cast iron pan on the stove.

Reverse sear on the MAK w/ a 60ish second/side sear on the Otto Wilde. If I didn’t have the Otto, I’d have a small Weber charcoal grill sitting on a small stainless table right next to it. Whether the Otto or small Weber, they both play very nice with the MAK. It’s not that the MAK can’t grill a steak, but I just love the reverse (or even forward) sear methods on certain cuts... thick steaks being one of them.

How do you like the Otto Wilde? I’ve been thinking of getting one, and it looks like they are having a July 4 sale.

How do you like the Otto Wilde? I’ve been thinking of getting one, and it looks like they are having a July 4 sale.

I love it for searing. I primarily use it for reverse sear cooks. Sits right next to my MAK. 1500° is no joke! :)

01494588796ee531e33e302855f1cfbb.jpg

Searing and welding? I could probably make that fly.

Do you have an issue with only being able to do 2 steaks at a time, or does it cook so fast that it's not a problem?

The Otto cooks so fast it’s not a problem when you’re doing a finishing sear. I have the same setup as Robb and love the combo.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering a MAK tomorrow and maybe an Otto to go along with it. Surprisingly I listed the two Weber's for a decent price and they sold right away. I'm sure a US made Traeger will be the same deal.

What are your feelings on the searing grates?

I guess I'll be ordering a MAK tomorrow. Surprisingly the two Weber's sold today and I'm pretty sure the Traeger will be gone by the end of the day. Might be able to sneak an Otto in the side door while the wife's not looking.

I guess I'll be ordering a MAK tomorrow. Surprisingly the two Weber's sold today and I'm pretty sure the Traeger will be gone by the end of the day. Might be able to sneak an Otto in the side door while the wife's not looking.

Weber and Traegers tend to sell fast with their name recognition. Sneak in an Otto... lol. I believe the Ottos are on sale right now. Not sure if you were aware of that.

Weber and Traegers tend to sell fast with their name recognition. Sneak in an Otto... lol. I believe the Ottos are on sale right now. Not sure if you were aware of that.

Looks like the Otto discount just expired. I had it in my cart, and went to take care of something. When I came back, it said expired coupon.

Looks like the Otto discount just expired. I had it in my cart, and went to take care of something. When I came back, it said expired coupon.

Man that's a bummer. Missed out on the MAK deal, and now the Otto deal. I've lost my shopping mojo.

Back